Thursday, March 26, 2009

Our Sacred Pathways

On Monday night, I finished reading a book that could very well change the way I view people and their worship. The book is Sacred Pathways by Gary Thomas. The premise of the book is that just as there are different personalities, there are different spiritual temperaments. Basically, people worship and are drawn closer to God in different ways. Thomas presents nine different pathways by introducing it, giving biblical examples of people with the same pathway, significant benefits, and warnings to avoid. Then, at the end of the section, he presents six questions to answer to help you find your specific pathway. It isn't a "calling to a denomination that fits you best". Thomas is a sticks fast to the validity of scripture and the need to be rooted in it. These temperaments are more personality driven.

One of the things that I found most interesting was actually identifying which pathway I am most compatible with. My top three pathways were very close: Enthusiast (Loving God with Mystery and Celebration), Intellectual (Loving God with the Mind), and the Contemplative (Loving God through Adoration). However, it was even more interesting to think on others during this book. As I read about each of the pathways, I thought about different people that fit in that temperament. It made me really appreciate them even more. Even though I may not understand that temperament because it is exactly the opposite of me (the Activist - Loving God through Confrontation), it made me see things from their point of view. It gave me a better understanding for how they tick and what motivates them. It opened my eyes to the way they best serve God. It made me thankful that there are people like them! It made me see my past dealings with brothers and sisters in Christ through different eyes as well. I can look over past relationships with various people and see where a misunderstanding of each other's pathways caused friction. What would it be like if we all appreciated the way that we serve and study best?

The other thing I considered is probably the most significant. I wasn't surprised at all about being labeled an Intellectual. I wasn't as surprised by the Enthusiast label as I was about it being the highest ranking. I was SHOCKED by the Contemplative label. I didn't even realize that was important for me. However, as I read, it made perfect sense but I just didn't even have a clue. I wonder how many people there are like that. I wonder if people don't realize how intimate their relationship with God really is/could be because they don't realize how their spirit relates to God. I wonder if some people have a more personal relationship with God than they know but they don't even recognize that they are doing it. I wonder how many people would benefit and grow from knowing how God has specifically made them to meet with Him. I wonder how many would appreciate a little light on their path. Definitely more to ponder.

Would you like to know more? You can read the book but if you would like a shorter version, let me know. I'd be happy to summarize for you via this blog. Thanks for your feedback!

No comments: