Saturday, March 07, 2009

Day Eighteen: Slug

Back in January, Matt was transitioning between sermon series and gave a one lesson messgae. It wasn't one of the most overwhelmingly phenominal sermon ever given but it has stuck with me. Holy Spirit talking to me, I guess. He called it Always Keep Growing and focused on Proverbs 24. It is about not being a sluggard. It focused on our spiritual growth but for me, it talked about the daily things of life - the laundry, cooking, housekeeping, keeping up with people, etc. As he talked about the laziness of people, I felt some pretty intense shame. It has followed me for a few months so within the past week or two, I've finally decided enough is enough. Here's the deal:

I am a neat, orderly person. I'm not a neat freak or germaphobe. I do like to be able to know where things are and LOVE the idea of people just dropping by. As of late, I have really let my housekeeping go. I'm not living in filth but if anyone did just drop by, I would be SO embarrassed. There are stacks everywhere, things are not put away, and all because I have gotten pretty lazy. I am tired at the end of the day and instead of just doing a little every day, I give in and just do nothing. The 30 minutes a day it would take to get this place in shape is given over to that book I'm reading, that show that is coming on, or looking that thing up online. After all, it is just me that lives here, right!? One more day won't hurt! It's not that bad! Then a week or two goes by and I find myself thankful that people don't just drop by anymore (which really is sad but that's another post for another day). So now I look around me and fully feel like a slug. Have you ever seen a slug? NOT cute! I don't know anyone who looks at a slug and longs to be around it (unless you are a very little boy).

I have even noticed this at work. I am tired and just leave without taking the few minutes to get things in order. Then, the next morning, I have to take care to yesterday's "stuff" as well as today's. It snowballs into an overwhelming mess. I've got work under control now and it is WONDERFUL! I can leave earlier, find things quicker, the kids are even responding better to it, and I feel less crazy in my room.

As I thought about this, my surprise "ah-ha" hit me. The status of our surroundings reflect the status of our internal being. The more useless and blah I feel, the more disorderly things around me get. Then the more chaotic things around me get, the more out of control and slug-like I feel.
I know, this isn't earth shattering stuff but sometime you just need are REALLY good reminder!
So I have made myself a resolution to get myself back in order - for myself and others.

For myself, I can see but for others? I've been thinking on hospitality lately. I think God's got something up His sleeve. I've actually been feeling the clausterphobia of an apartment for the first time in my life. I can't host lifegroup, have a jewelry part for my cousin, invite people over for games, or even have more than about three friends over for dinner because I don't have room for it. Just inviting the five members of my family over for dinner can get cramped. I am thankful for the space I have but feel stiffled in serving/being hospitible in my home. Add to the room issue the mess issue and I'm just really wanting to get it in gear!

Alright, God, this weekend we work the ground work on this one. Time to step it up and stop being a slug!

No comments: