Thursday, March 05, 2009

Day Sixteen: Prayer

The day started a bit like normal - read, "Surprise Me", get ready, hit the classroom door (and to-do list) with avengance. Then the speaker came on and Dr. J announced the prayer meeting would begin in four minutes in the library. Rats! (I know- terrible response.) So here's the background on that one.

Last fall, several of us decided that we would like to do a bible study since our regular one was not being held for the semester. After some ho-humming and looking at many different authors/studies, we decided on Beth's Daniel study. Basically, someone had the DVD set so we didn't have to spend any money. Free is always good. We sent out the email, got the workbooks, and showed up for our first session. There were seven women and Dr. J. Bless his heart! He attended several sessions before the duties of being a principal called him out for good. But he did it! Weeks of attending a study for women. Out of his comfort zone but he shared that he was blessed by it. What a trooper!

Fast forward to Monday. I was listening to the radio and they announced something that was being done is Washington that day that shocked and bothered me. I immediately email the family and two co-workers. I thought about adding Dr. J to the email but decided against it. There is a difference between knowing someone's stance on political issues and someone's stance on abortion. So I decided against it. One of my co-workers forwarded it on to him anyway. Her response was, "Dana, we're Catholic. Of course he is pro-life!" Yeah, I played it safe though. Within minutes of her sending him the email, he sent out a campus wide email sharing that there would be a patriotic rosary held on Wednesday morning in the library to pray over our country and the decisions being made.

Now, I'm one of those people that thinks if someone puts themselves out there for you, you should reciprocate in some way. So Dr. J came to a women's Bible Study. Awkward for him. So, I decided to go to the rosary he was going to lead. Awkward for me.

As I finished passing out papers, I seriously considered skipping the rosary. I would go if Jill were here. I can pray on my own here in the room. I'm not Catholic. Bottom line, this is important to someone I respect a lot, he put himself out there for us last fall, cooperate praying is always a good thing. Ok.....I'll go.

There were six of us (his daughter came of her own accord - talk about a proud daddy!). I've never been to a rosary. In a nutshell, it was uncomfortable but a blessing in its own way. I could not bring myself to say the "Hail Mary"s. I still can't get myself around that one. However, there were some very cool things about this specific rosary. We prayed over each branch of the government - national to local - by name. We prayed over specific leaders by name. We prayed over the people and governments of each state - by name. As we prayed, I visualized people whose faces and hearts I know. Some were people I haven't thought about in years. But on this morning, we were praying over them. For states/branches I did not know anyone in, I just visualized that state. It was pretty powerful!

I think that we get wrapped up in general prayer sometimes (praying for the country and it's leaders) and we forget the power of praying for specific people and the decisions they are making. I wonder how much of an injustice that is for them as well as for us? Hmmm....

So I attended my first rosary at school (lead by my principal....if that is lost on anyone, let me just tell you, that blessing is NOT lost on me). Yes, it was difficult and I really didn't get aspects of it. Don't think I will. Don't really know if I'll ever attend another one. However, God sure did talk to me about the good that can come out of it. And He blessed the time spent in prayer too. It was a very peaceful day. Again, getting outside myself and pouring into Him first thing in the morning. Sure does remind me that the day really should start with Him.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Dana - wherever Dr. J goes, you follow! He is an amazing man, and I've never met him. You are one lucky - no, blessed - teacher!

Marcia said...

Dana - my mom comes from a large catholic family, so I've sat through several rosaries without knowing what was going on. I've learned to just pray along on my own and be thankful for the different forms that prayer can take and that God hears them all. Sounds like you have a great principal to work for.