Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Day Fifteen: The Prodigal

In order to understand today's post, there is something about myself that I have to admit. I'm not sure if I am the only one like this or not. Part of me hopes not but for the spiritual well being/attitude of everyone else, I hope I am. OK.....confession time.....there are certain passages that, when they are used in a lesson, I feel myself tend to check out. I am very embarrassed to admit this but its true. So, of course, God used a passage that I "check out" on to get my attention tonight.

This evening at bible study, the lesson revolved around the Prodigal Son. I will admit that this is one of the the passages that makes me check out. Not because I have anything against it but because it is SO familiar to me. However, God used it tonight to speak such a sweet message to us all. The theme of the lesson was "When we realize, as heiresses of God, that we've squandered so much of our Father's property...." It spent some time addressing some things that, THANKFULLY, have not applied to my past but what followed was the sweetest, most hopeful "Come to Jesus" lesson I have ever heard. To me, it was almost like a warm, familiar blanket straight from the dryer - fresh and clean but full of the familiar that makes it your favorite. As the lesson went on, God flooded my mind with people and images of Him running to. Not only in my life but in the lives of those around me. He reminded me of His goodness and patience as He waited for His children to come home to Him because that is where we belong. Through the remembrances of those around me, I was gently reminded that some lessons, activities, moments are not about me. Sometimes they are for the benefit of others and we are just privileged to watch God do His thing. What a blessing!

The lesson was full of great points but one stood out more than others (like one usually does). In the past few weeks, I have had Galatians 1:10 on my mind. It says, "Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ." It's had me really thinking about why I do (and don't do) things. I'm not 100% sure where this is taking me yet but I'm getting an idea. Anyway - as we talked about that lovely older brother, this verse popped into my mind again. I'm telling you, it is following me everywhere.

So today's surprises - 1) a fresh word from a familiar passage and 2) being mentally stalked by a verse. I'd say it was a good one!

2 comments:

jenn said...

I lkie that parable because it reminds me that no matter what I've done, He's waiting for me to come back to Him! You taught a class once on this story and focused on the other brother; this parable also reminds me that we should be compassion to those who have wandered and come home. Just as the father waits for us, He also waits for our brother and we should welcome them home as well!

Dana said...

Jenn, One thing that was pointed out at the end of the lesson was that we don't know if the other brother ever went in. It was suggested that is because we, at some point, will all be put in the place of the older brother. We have to decide whether to go in or now. Just like the older had not lost anything by the prodigal leaving and returning, we don't either when it comes to God. Going in or staying out is a heart/attitude issue.

Talk about a wake up call/kick in the gut!