Sunday, March 15, 2009

Day Twenty Seven: Tears, Laughter, and Awe

It was another Lord's Day, gray and cold. Part of me wished it was a Saturday because it was the perfect lounging weather. But it wasn't so up and at it. It is Sunday so there is a higher purpose for my day. I flipped on KSBJ to listen to Enter His Gates and get ready for worship. Israel was on and that was a nice little surprise. I do love his heart!

Following class, I was standing by the stairway next to the welcome center looking for a friend from Life Group. I didn't see her or her husband but I did see another man in our group. I could write a whole post on the amount of respect and love I have for this man and his wife (oh wait - I already did). We were chit chatting about this and that when I noticed that his eyes were red and a bit wet. I dead eyed him and did the, "No really, how are you?" thing. He told me that he just made someone mad in class. When I commented that I couldn't image that, he said hit a little too close to home for someone and this was the first time in a while he had upset someone. He didn't go into detail and that is fine because it was none of my business. All I could do was give him a hug. My heart ached for him because his heart beats for others. Seeing him appear to be shaken by the morning's class shook me. I think anyone would be surprised to see someone they admire shaken. And a man, nonetheless! What is it about a man with tears? It cuts your heart every time!

Fast forward to this evening....Life Group was small tonight. Between the Garage Sale and illness, our numbers were down. We discussed I John 1:1 - 2:14. Towards the end, we were talking about what it means when John comments that we can make Christ out to be a liar. My friend's husband tried to stifle some laughter but it just didn't work. He then proceeded to lead me (and I think all of us) to another surprise: using The Office to explain a biblical concept. That's right folks, Michael and the gang made it to Life Group tonight! He called to mind the Christmas episode of this season when Michael kidnaps Meredith and tries to force her into rehab for her alcoholism. They informed Michael that they couldn't keep her against her will and she was yelling, "No! No! No!" My friend pointed out that by denying the obvious, Meredith was making Michael out to be a liar. When we deny the obvious need for Christ in our life (or continue to deliberately sin), we make Christ out to be a liar. Christ died for our need so to say we don't need Him or His death, we make Him out to be a liar. His response at the end was, "I know, bad analogy but I just had to get it out." I just had to laugh!

Also at life group tonight, a lady came with her two children. She has been through a lot in the past two years. After moving his family to Texas from a very northern state, her husband repeatedly was caught in affairs and despite her desire/efforts to work on the marriage, they eventually divorced. She was telling us at dinner that her ex is getting remarried this weekend. The way that she talked about him and his fiance was AMAZING! After he repeatedly ripped her heart out and stomped on it, she talked about how happy she was for them. She adores his new wife-to-be and is praying for a smooth transition for her kids. She told us about her long process of forgiveness. She is incredible! She has every reason to hate him. After all, he did leave her after already moving on. Yet, she has found peace and now is an advocate for him before our Father. This was only the second or third time I have met her but I am already thankful for her presence in our group! Surprise - forgiveness in its purest form was eating pizza and salad with me!

No comments: