Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Got a Little Story for Ya.....

Today was exhausting. I'm not too sure why because it wasn't anything trying. My plan was to write a new post tonight and I was having to choose between two different things that I'm rolling around in my head. Then, tonight happened and it just has to take priority. God just pulled out the stops for me tonight! But before you can understand the beauty in the significance of it all, I have to back it up for you.

So Friday evening, I realize that I am short an onion that I need to make dinner. I jumped in the car and headed over to the closest grocery store. In the same shopping area, there is a Starbucks. It was a gorgeous evening and all of the outdoor tables were full of people just sitting and enjoying a drink with a friend/significant other. It has been quite a while since I've had the chance to sit with friends and just hang out over a social coffee (or in my case, tea). On that evening, that scene really pulled at my heart with GREAT longing. However, I went in to the store, got my onion, and had a quiet evening, putting it out of my mind.

The next evening, after dinner and games, Mom asked about the bible study I was planning on attending tonight. I said I didn't know much about it but had mixed emotions about it. Part of me was excited (it's bible study - it's what I LOVE) but that I was nervous as well. Walking into an established group in the middle of a study is not an easy thing to do. I mentioned that I didn't know what they were doing so I didn't know what to expect. Erin shoots out, "Yeah, like if they are doing something like Nehemiah." I commented that I would love that - being an Old Testament girl and all. We talked about it a little more and then moved before saying good night.

So to my story. Tonight comes and I am beat! I briefly think about skipping study but I know one girl there is expecting me so I get in the car and drive over. When I arrive, only one other girl is there so we start chatting. I caught myself and asked if she was leading the study. She was so I apologized for talking and not allowing her to review her notes for the evening. She was kind and said she felt as set as she was going to get. I asked what they were covering and guess what she said - Nehemiah! A laugh burst out of my mouth and then I told her what Erin randomly said. Once everyone was there, we got to it and discussed chapter 3 - the rebuilding of the gates. It was pretty interesting and I would have loved to go deeper. I'm pretty sure I'll revisit that one on my own pretty soon. Anyway, we finished up and were just sitting around visiting. The girl who led the study looked around and said, "Does anyone want to take this over to Starbucks?" I didn't show it but inside I was falling off the couch! I wanted to yell out, "OH! Pick me!" but I showed restraint. We did. Five of us drove the quarter mile up the road and most of us got drinks. Then we found a table outside and just sat and talked - nothing serious at all. Just visiting. Just like those people on Friday evening. Just like I wanted. And it was exactly what I needed!

Nehemiah and Starbucks. Sometimes God speaks directly to our hearts in a way that only He can!

6 comments:

jenn said...

God is SO amazing!!! I'm always surprised and then ashamed of being surprised by our Father. Glad you had a good study and happy that you were fulfilled many times over!!!

Darla said...

"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. For in him we live and move and have our being As some of your own poets have said 'We are his offspring.'"
Acts 17:24-28

AMAZING! What a gift!

The Johnsons said...

Sorry I missed your call last night. I was passed out on the couch. Yesterday was a tiring day for some reason. Anyway, I couldn't help but laugh/smile when I read your post. Ha! Glad you enjoyed the study and coffee/tea with some new friends. Love you!

Amy said...

Must be Spring Break let-down! I was wiped out, too!!
What a great night, Dana! Hope it's the beginning of many, many more!

Mindi Tipps said...

Great story! I too am glad that you got Mehemiah and Starbucks! Miss you friend!

Mindi Tipps said...

Nehemiah...sorry!