Saturday, March 14, 2009

Day Twenty Six: Home

The first day of Spring Break found me at the Impact Garage Sale early this morning. This is a multi-church garage sale in which all money raised go to the Impact church. They work with the inner city and Spanish speaking population near downtown Houston. It was drizzly and COLD! When I left my apartment, it was 41 degrees. I think it got colder as the morning went on because by the time we left at noon, we could see our breath and my toes were numb. Someone was merciful though and put up huge sheets of plastic to block large amounts of wind for us. As I stood there and tried to stay warm, I kept thinking about many of the people that Impact works with - those who live in these conditions day and night with no reprieve. I felt like a jerk every time I complained about being cold. I have it SO easy! As I was thinking about what a wuss I am, I met a member of the Impact church who was there to help work. Surprise #1. Such a sweetheart! I was put in my place quickly. Because of the weather, the crowds were small so hopefully, things picked up this afternoon and tomorrow brings more people. Holly and I were on duty in clothes for the morning and Lyndsey met us there about ten. Between those girls and some VERY funny items of clothing, the morning went by quickly.

After we left, Lyndsey and I headed to Harris County Steakhouse for some breakfast at lunchtime. Between my being out of town a few weekends and her work schedule, we haven't seen each other in about a month. It was really good to have lunch and visit. I know that not many people understand my desire to stay at a church where there isn't a peer group for me but Lyndsey feels the exact same way I do. We talked about our thankfulness for the church and our frustrations with it as well. We caught up with the goings on in each others lives. I think my favorite part was towards the end. Lyndsey was the person who suggested the Surprise Me book to me. I told her I am on day 26 and her eyes about popped out of her head. I somehow forgot the tell her I was doing this. She asked how it was going and what I was learning. It was SO wonderful to talk about it with her. She understands the significance and depth of its simplicity. When I talked about the threads I'm seeing woven throughout the days, she just smiled and nodded. Then I asked her what she learned when she went through it and as she shared, I just smiled and nodded. I love how shared experiences in God form bonds. Surprise #2.

After we said goodbye, I made my way to Barnes and Nobel to get a book I found online last night. It is called Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places by Eugene Peterson. The subtitle is "a conversation in spiritual theology". I'm really excited about it but needless to say it is NOT going to be a light read. I actually wanted to get another book of his but this is the first in the series. It is always good to start on book one. Since it is me, I spent an hour in B&N to buy one book. I carried around about five others but my inner financial steward helped me put the rest back. Those of you who know me will agree with this - Surprise #3. I added them to my list of books to buy in the future instead. Dave would be proud....

It was such a wonderful day! All day, I found my heart feeling at home. I remember Erin once saying that she didn't feel connected to Texas. I'm the opposite. I love to travel and could live else where but Texas is my home. I am happy where I am right now but my soul yearns for the hill country of Texas. As soon as I leave the city, I feel my body and soul just relax. Sitting in a barbecue place with old school country and the smell of brisket in the background just settles this girl's spirit. Now make no mistake, I am by no means a country girl. I wouldn't know what to do on a farm or ranch but being around it just soothes me. Add to that atmosphere, I was with a friend. Being in good company with someone of kindred experience just settles a heart. Every day I am more firmly convinced that we were created for community and relationship. I don't know how hermits do it. People (specifically friends) are home to me. Then a follow up visit to a bookstore, heaven on earth!!! I know that this home is temporary but God has blessed me immensely with a good place for the time being.

There are things that could have made this day better but I'm not too sure what they could have been. Surprises and blessings abound in the corners of my earthly home!

No comments: