Saturday, March 07, 2009

Day Nineteen: People


Last night, I decided that while I was around the house, I would listen to an audiobook. I have to say that audiobooks are quite possibly one of the best inventions EVER! So I was browsing through iTunes and on their front audiobook page was a section for Oscar nominees. My eye was caught by Q&A by Vikas Swarup(or Slumdog Millionaire). I have heard rave reviews of the movie and we all know that the book is always better. So I downloaded it - all six hours and some minutes. It was about 7:30 last night when that purchase was made. I finished it right before lunch today. It was AMAZING! There was a little language and sections of it were slightly difficult to "read" but I would recommend it to any adult in a heartbeat! The narrator did all of the voices/accents very well, the story was just about flawless, and it really did make you feel every emotion under the sun. Beautiful book! In case you don't know, it is about an 18 year old Indian waiter who wins 1 billion rubbles by answering all 12 questions in a quiz show correctly. He is arrested and falsely accused of cheating. The novel is flashbacks to his life showing how he honestly knew the answers. I really cannot rave about this book enough!!!

As I listened to the story of Ram Mohammad Thomas (his name is explained), I got to thinking about how different people are and yet, so much the same. How are we the same and how are we different? I can't help but think that at the core of humanity, we are all alike. We have the same needs (physical and emotional). But then I got to thinking about how different we all are based upon our culture and upbringing. As I listened to the story set in India, I felt a more than a world away. It seems so vastly different! While we are innately the same, we have completely different lives! My mind is still whirling in it!

I have to stop this train of thought right here and derail. Sorry. As I was typing, this randomly popped in my mind. For a while now, I have been thinking about sponsoring a child through Compassion. It is a very legitimate Christian organization that allows people to sponsor a child by providing financial support for meeting their daily needs, schooling, and a Christian influence in their lives. They work with children in impoverished countries. I first heard of this organization in the fall of 2002 when reading a biography about Rich Mullins. Since then, they have been popping up at random and unexpected times. Including this one. I didn't expect this writing to go here but like He often does during this time of reflection - Surprise! I just wanted to share the blessings I received after ready an amazing book. Now.....

You'll have to excuse me. Sorry this doesn't make any sense at all. I would go back and make it cohesive but apparently I have something I need to go pray about right now. Keep posted - This surprise may only be beginning....

No comments: