Monday, October 02, 2006

Sigh....

I got up early to get some work done but got distracted looking at some pictures. They made me think about my ride to church yesterday so I thought I would do this first.

I live in an area that is growing so much right now. Most people see that as a good thing - you know, economic development and such. As I was driving over a bridge, I looked to my left and saw a sea of roofs in an area that used to be a rolling hill. Part of me became very sad. The green grass and trees that were there before had been replaced by various shades of shingles. Home next to home are going up.

Then, on the way to Pleasanton, I saw DR Horton signs for new properties about every 5 exits. I have a friend who works for DR Horton and provides homes for those who need them. He loves his job and I am happy for him. However, I was overwhelmed by the number of projects his company has going right now. I had never noticed it before.

I am proud of where I am from partly because of the beauty of the state. Yesterday, I realized that soon, this area won't have the hills that are the invitation to the hill country. Instead, we are seeing construction sights on top of bull dozers next to gravel piles. It made me thankful for the beauty of people because, as I see it, the beauty of the land won't be here much longer.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I feel that way often, too, Dana - especially when we go to Houston. Where do all those people come from to live in all those houses? And what I think of most is, how are we supposed to reach them all for Christ?!? It is overwhelming to me, and while I'm not really exactly out there knocking on their doors, I do wonder about their souls. Good intentions not followed up by much action.

Anonymous said...

here is a tree. feel free to hug it.

well... it wont let me put a picture on here... so IMAGINE hugging a tree.

just teasin babe... made me think of CBH :)