Saturday, October 07, 2006

Chewing my Knee

Today was the Buddy Walk for the Down Syndrome Association of San Antonio. Its the third year I have participated and each year, I enjoy myself more. However, today I had one of my "Open Mouth, Insert Foot" moments. They don't come along too often but when they do, they're a doozy.

So we are in the first part of the walk. Daniel points to a random little plant on the side of the track and asks Caleb what it is. Being the yard/plant man that he is, Caleb answers without skipping a beat. I immediately hear myself say (in a completely loving and sarcastic manner), "Are you autistic, Dustin Hoffman? Rainman of plants!" At that moment, I am entirely too aware of where I am and who I am surrounded by. Think about it: Walking with families and friends of people with down syndrome in an effort to educate and raise awareness. And I am suddenly choking on my knee!

Then, watching them race, I catch myself just as I am about to yell across the track, "Run, Forrest, Run!" as Caleb sprints lankily around a curve.

What is it about being in a situation where you must be aware of your words? It seems that the more control and political correctness a situation requires, the higher the chances that someone will blow it. Gotta love being that person!

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh my word! I remember at Robert's dad's funeral, everyone was all upset and crying and robby and jarred were being pill (they were 1 1/2 and 3 months at the time). Finally I got them all settled in,, walked into the dining room and Barbara (my mother in law) asks if they're ok. and I said, without skipping a bet. "Yea!! glad they finally gave up the ghost."

It was deathly still.

like a morgue.

Oh man! did it again!

The Johnsons said...

I left a comment for you on mom's blog by mistake... Don't know what I was thinking!

jenn said...

yeah well, you were much better than i was. That voice i use...Oh My Word!!