Wednesday, October 18, 2006

October 18

Do you every have one of those days where there was a nag in th back of your mind that you were forgetting something? That was today. I kept looking at the date and knowing it was significant for some reason. As I read Jenn's blog, it hit me.

I was in 5th grade and it was after school. For some reason, we were at the Bryan's house. I think... Anyway...Dad came, picked us up, and took us home. This was highly unusual because Mom usually met us at the junior high. When we got home, he told us that Papaw had been in a wreck. He was riding his bike down the highway and a car hit him, knocking him to the ground. Since he wasn't wearing a helmet, the damage was bad. I don't remember much about how I felt. We didn't get to see him because Mom was at the hospital and my parents had lots of wisdom about what little girls are or are not ready to see.

That was the nag in the back of my mind. That was 16 years ago today and I was the age of some of my students. Wow.....

3 comments:

The Johnsons said...

Not that this is the point of that comment... It's interesting what our little minds remember. I remember that day completely different. As far as remembering what I felt - I didn't understand.

Amy said...

Some years, it never enters my mind, and on others, it rides along with every thought. Your papaw loved you and Erin very much; he took great joy in spending time with you, and I wish he was here to see what marvelous women you are.

Anonymous said...

i read the comment on my blog BEFORE i read your post....

I cried as i read your thoughts to cherish the time i have with him, because i know your situation. it seems that your papaw was as great as mine is! i love you