Monday, October 16, 2006

Living in the Gray

I don't do well with things being uncertain and undefined. I know some that are but I am not one of those people. I like to know where I will be in a year, how relationships stand, why things happen, etc, etc, etc...

The funny thing about life is that it is not black and white. It doesn't fit in a box and sit neatly on a shelf. It is messy and unpredictable. It is gray. I am overanalytical by nature so I would really like the black and white. It would be more comfortable and peaceful.

Gray can be exciting and scary at the same time. It opens doors to provide so many opportunities. It makes life a roller coaster instead of a merry-go-round.

I think that life is gray is because, from our basic human understanding, God is too. While he knows the outcomes, my tiny mind can't wrap my mind about who he is or why he does what he does. In order to live life to the fullest, I've got to put ALL of my trust in the gray - and that is hard!

Here is a song by my favorite Christian group right now. It fills me with peace when I hear it because it gently reminds me of who and I am who God is. That's pretty black and white to me!

Let Me Be Lyrics
by Caedmon's Call

Lord, You are the maker of my heart
The framer and reshaper of my soul
Master and Creator
Healer and Sustainer
I will put my trust in You alone
Teach me to be faithful to confess
In this way my spirit will be blessed
Though my sins are daily,
You have loved me greatly
Removing them as far as East from West

Chorus:
Let me be open
Let me be humble
Let me find the joy of my salvation in Your cross
Let me be broken
Whenever I stumble
Let me remember the great mercy of my God

Give me the full measure of Your grace
As it is reflected in the Word
Faith and reassurance
Mercy and endurance
Carry these to those who haven’t heard

Chorus

All I have needed is laid at your table
All my achievements, I lay at your feet
Alive in your spirit, I’m willing and able
You make my joy complete

Chorus

Make my joy complete

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, sweet dana, that is beautiful! i think we all struggle with what God has planned for us and who we are in God's plan. Last week was tuff for me because i want to know the plan. I am willing to be patient before it is played out, BUT i RIGHT NOW want to know what it is. i love you and pray for you daily! i don't have any advise, but i have ears (and eyes) if you need to talk! lovies!