Wednesday, February 29, 2012

What I'm Listening To

Tonight I went to check out Middle School at MCC. It's been five and a half years since I directly interacted with middle schoolers (aside from dodging them in the hallways at school). So trying to get a picture of middle schoolers in action looks a lot like this:



A lot of movement due to a LOT of energy. However, there are a few things that I remembered tonight:
- That squeal that makes you think these two kids are long lost friends when in reality they saw each other two hours ago at school.
- When playing a game where you have to take kids down, always go after the girls. The guys are proving themself and you may get smacked in the face.
- I don't think they stop moving. Ever.
- They (especially the girls) do not hold back.

While in many ways tonight further confirmed that I am designed for five and six year olds on a daily basis, I remembered a few things that I loved about my sixth graders. Their lack of verbal filter sure does result in some definite honesty. And this group of middle schoolers - they are something else. I remember watching my middle schoolers have that overwhelming feeling of loyalty to their friends. Quick to lavish verbal love on them to anyone willing to listen. But more than that, these are pretty amazing kids. They ask great questions. They want to know more. They are dealing with some serious stuff.

So while this is not a natural fit for me, I'm going back soon. I don't do the squealing and I don't know how to chit chat with them. But.... They obviously love to be there. They have questions. They need someone to talk to. So out of my comfort zone I go.

Random, unrelated video - For what I'm truely listening to lately, check out some Bob Marley. We have a four year old on our bus that is LOVING this song right now. Every day the headphones go in and he belts it out:

No comments: