Wednesday, February 01, 2012

My View

In an effort to appease my stateside friends, I have decided to join the photo a day challenge. I've been struggling with blog topics anyway so this will help a lot.


For the first day, we were asked to share our view. This is what I get the privilege to see every single day.


Each and every day I go to work with the sweetest group of 5 year olds in Cairo. The best part of my day with them is watching them bloom as readers. I have the very strong conviction that reading changes people's lives. By teacher a child to read, you are teaching them to problem solve, try new strategies, and THINK. They are reaching back into themselves to converse with an author - an idea. They are reaping new information and growing by doing the very thing they are learning to love. Because that is what reading is - love. It nourishes the soul and makes your imagination come to life. It makes your heart skip a beat and laugh out loud. It makes you hold your breath in anticipation and lose hours of your day to check in on a character or person you only encounter in the pages of a book.

So this is my view of the day - two energetic boys falling in love with a book on their lap. It's a pretty good one.

1 comment:

Mindi Tipps said...

What an awesome view!
This was my favorite part of teaching Kindergarten- watching kids fall in love with reading!