Thursday, January 18, 2007

Recommendations, Please

Over my unexpected break, I got to do something that I haven't had time for in the past few months - read. I finished the newest Gregory Maguire book (Thanks Jenn!) and then I did something the next night that I haven't done in quite a while. I read a whole novel in one sitting. I got so wrapped up in the story that, the next thing I knew, I was finished and it was 4:15 a.m. It was SO nice to get so engrossed in a story without interruptions! The flow was there and nothing broke the momentum that the author created.

One of my goals for this year is to read a new book every two weeks. I figure this allows some room for work to come in and take over but still accomplish a decent book (no War and Peace, grant you). Here is where my "problem" lies. What do I want to read? Here is where you come in. What do you recommend? I like all kinds of books except sci-fi. I prefer lighter, more enjoyable texts during the school year but I can handle some deeper ones along the way too (just not around TAKS). Let me know what you think is good and I'll start the reading list. Thanks!

5 comments:

Jeff said...

Are we limiting these recommendations to fictional works? If so, I'll be no help. If you're open to theological works, I can make a list for you!

The Johnsons said...

There's the sequel to Inkheart that you haven't read.

Philip Yancy has some new ones out.

You could read Bridge to Terabithia before it comes out. Of course, it's always fun to re-read Harry Potters.

I'm a big Mr. Sparks fan.

Have you ever read any of Francine Rivers?

Jackie said...

Francine Rivers is amazing. And I love the Amish stuff - various authors, for an easy, 'no sex for 10 pages' read. (am I allowed to use the s word with you?) I'll let you read mine when it comes out, k?

Cryssy said...

I think the Gilbert Morris books are fantastic!! I haven't read one I didn't like. They are excellent Christian love stories set in historic times with a large amount of accurate history wrapped in. Great stuff.

And I agree with Erin, Harry Potter is always good!

Alissa said...

Anything by Jodi Picoult, you would love. I have read Plain Truth, Picture Perfect, My Sister's Keeper and I absolutely LOVED them all! Her attention to detail and accuracy of the culture/age is perfect.
Also, for a quick/easy/sappy/heart-wrenching read, Nicolas Sparks is always a winner!