Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Drumming my Fingers

School has been called off for the past two days. That means that I have been in my apartment from Monday night until tomorrow morning. I have really enjoyed getting the apartment clean, painting, LOTS of reading, and doing several other fun things. I have also noticed several things. For example, freezing rain sounds like pop rocks. A sheet of ice falling from a two story building sounds like a blackcat firecracker. Ice from a car sounds like breaking glass when it hits the road. A pot of boiling water is a great homemade humidifier. And the waiting. I have spent a lot of time waiting. Waiting for the phone to ring about the next day. Waiting for the rain to hit. Waiting for the ice to melt. Waiting for the kettle to boil. Waiting for a chance to run errands. Waiting to hear from a friend. Waiting........

Why is waiting so hard? What is it about anticipation, good or bad, that makes us so antsy? And what can we do in the meantime? Nothing. All we can do is sit and drum our fingers or distract ourselves with both necessary and fun things. I think it is the idea that everything is out of our hands. Mine are small and can't hold on to much anyway so why should the idea of waiting be such a big deal?

One thing I have noticed.....with waiting comes relief. Relief that things are done. Relief that you know what is ahead. Relief that everyone is OK. I guess the key to it all is to not watch the kettle. It will boil when it's time.

I am going to sit by the phone to wait for a call about tomorrow. Who knows, maybe we will have a delayed start or maybe even have a semi-normal day. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.....

4 comments:

Jeff said...

What a beautiful allegory! God is trying to teach me that very lesson right now. I like to move forward and be in control, but when I take time to listen lately, He simply says "Wait. Trust. Follow." So I'm learning the tougher-than-I-would-have-thought lesson of waiting on God.

Jackie said...

I sometimes get to thinking on Christ's coming and it makes me honestly groan out load, because I am aching to just get there . . just touch Christ . . . the waiting is the hard part - - and man, will it be worth it.

Amy said...

I waited 25 years to be a mom - you were worth every minute's wait.

andrew said...

Patience...the greatest lesson God is constantly teaching me. I have no patience, though I am getting better. I am constantly moving from one activity to another. It may not appear so on the outside, but on the inside, I am just constantly on the go. God constantly is presenting opportunities for learning. I have to admit I am not the fastest learner, so I am grateful for God's...patience.