Monday, January 29, 2007

My Newest Theory

*This is post 100!*

As I have said in the past, I am an Old Testament junkie. There are times that I think I could make a good Jew (except that I believe in Jesus Christ as the Messiah - that could be a problem). I LOVE what the Old Testament holds in it's pages. I could go on for quite a while about the beauty of it but I'll cut to the point.

How often do we, New Testament Christians, take time to study the Old Testament? How often do you hear a whole sermon spend the majority of it's message in the times before Christ? I have a new theory. I think that as New Testament Christians, we have taken the idea about not following the old law to a very sad extreme. The thought that has popped into my mind is that we view the Old Testament as a series of books that proves Christ's deity and miracles. I agree 100% but, truth be told, that we have missed a huge point.

The Bible is a compilation of 66 books. Only a third are New Testament. So why did the Holy Spirit include the other two thirds to be added to our scripture if we are no longer under the Mosaic law? I believe that it is so we can see God. We know that God never changes. From Genesis chapter 1, we are introduced to who God is. We have 39 books that show us who God is and what He desires most. We see all of God's emotions - from heartbreak to jubilation, grace to mercy, friendship to enemy. We see how God and man interact and how those relationships are either forged stronger or separated.

I believe with all of my heart we need to get back to the heart of God. We see him in Christ through the Gospels. We are told about him in the letters. But to actually encounter HIM? Look were He spoke, acted, and felt. Look at the God who is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. Look in the pages of Genesis, Judges, the Prophets, the Kings, the wanderings, and the conquerors. As you read, you may find yourself there. You will find God.

1 comment:

jenn said...

i love you! and am so glad that you let us celebrate with you last night! i hope that the rest of your week goes well! hugs and kisses, :)