Friday, January 12, 2007

Daniel

I am an Old Testament junkie. I love the New Testament because it tells the story of redemption and what that now means for me. However, I would rather listen to an Old Testament sermon everyday of the week. I think it is where we see ourselves. We see how actual people wrestled with and loved God. We see ourselves in the people who meet and interact with God. We meet God there in a more "tangible" way. It shows up were we have been and allows us to hope when we see how far we have come. When tied to the New Testament, I think that we have a deeper understanding and relationship with God and what he wants us to know about him.

One person who is held up in the Old Testament is Daniel. There are a few stories about him that we know by heart but the most famous is that of the Lions' Den. This has been brought to mind SO many times in the past week and a half.

Daniel was a man who was right with God when the world tried to silence him. At the point of the lions' den, many were trying for his life. Despite what was going on around him, Daniel was saved from death and his rescue brought a king to believe in God. This then resulted in the acknowledgment of God throughout a kingdom. How much more powerful can you get!? His story gives me great hope.

What gets me about Daniel's story is that I find myself in the same boat. I Peter 5:8 warns us, "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." The way I see it, if God will literally close the mouths of lions to physically save a man from death, he will most certainly close the mouth of the one who whispers lies in my ear daily. He will starve the one who craves to crush my spirit and destroy my soul. My lions are not literal but everyday, I fight to keep priorities straight and my eyes where they will find true joy. Don't we all?

Daniel's life had a purpose. So does mine and so does yours. I pray today that whatever lions you face, the God who saved Daniel will close the mouth of the devil to save you as well.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Great blog! i love the whole daniel thing - especially the three guys walking around in that furnace with a forth brighter than the sun with'em.

I finally got a chance to respond to your laast blog - the one before it I left alone for now becuse my fingers are tired from typing!