Monday, April 21, 2008

Granny and Jane Austen

All day I've randomly thought about Granny. This afternoon, one of my students was talking about her grandmother painting something for her. Mine did that. Then tonight, Grandma made instant potatoes with dinner. Granny did that. Then I got a forward of an email from my uncle in Florida who I haven't seen since her funeral. I've been thinking about her randomly a lot today. To top it all off, something random about her just hit me.

Granny called me Lizzy. It drove Mom crazy (so she once told me). Mom would say that my name is not Lizzy but Dana. Granny got Lizzy from my middle name - Elizabeth. It never seemed to bother me. This makes me wonder if Granny knew something that I didn't. You see, my all-time favorite character from literature is Miss Elizabeth Bennett (aka Lizzy) from Pride and Prejudice. I think that she is AMAZING. I'll be called by her name any day of the week.

Thanks, Granny!

2 comments:

Darla said...

My paternal grandfather called me Susie and my sister Lulu. They were just pet names, had nothing to do with either of us or our names, just something he called us.

My maternal grandfather always said, "my favorite Darla" even when I was the only Darla.

Didn't matter. Both pet names translated into love.

Both are gone for nearly 30 years but they left me with the memories of being loved by them.

jenn said...

i always think about my granny around Thanksgiving and Christmas and just in thinking of her i can smell the sents that always came from her kitchen during that time of the year. I've been thinking about her a lot lately too.
my nanny use to sit in the corner of her living room whered she could see out the window to the front yard and side yard, she would watch us play. she also would do cart wheels during our walks down the white rock road. when i go down that road, i can see her turning flips in her moo-moo!

good memories:)