Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day Twelve: Beauty and the Beast

Everyday there are many surprises that show up. I don't write about all of them but focus on the ones that really seems to stand out significantly. Today, two really made their mark so I'll share them both.

The first surprise was more in the form of appreciation. Today, I was blessed to watch my niece for about four hours while her parents spent time with a couple expecting their first child. Liz could not have been better! She was WONDERFUL and I was amazed by so many things about her. One of my favorite moments was .... oh, wait...her mother is going to post on that....I better not steal that thunder. :) It was all so good! That wasn't the surprise. I already knew she is wonderful. What surprised me was how tiring it was! I work with 17 students each day and it can take it out of you. Today, I am just about as tired! Granted, it may be linked to the fact that I stayed up later than normal but Little Girl wore me out! Always being aware, listening for every sound, watching the clock for nap/bottle times/etc.....I have a new found appreciation for what my sister does each day! Yes, I work with 17 six and seven year olds all day every day (along with the business of school) but they are very self sufficient compared to my four month old niece. I love her but girl made my senses heighten to near overload. So all of you stay at home moms...more power to you!I hope to have the honor of your job one day. Until then, you have my full admiration!

The second surprise actually started last night. Erin and I went to dinner and I was sharing something about a person in my life. As I talked, I shared that I have become very judgemental of this person. It wasn't a huge ah-ha moment for me. The surprise wasn't that I have become judgemental but that it has gotten this far. I hate that I look at them and have all of these thoughts running through my mind. I know that the heart of the problem lies with me, not them. I love them and want none of this! I was able to have some time (nap time!) on my own this afternoon and I talked at length to God about it. Confronting the ugliness within is a hard thing to do but a necessary part of the purifying process. It is so hard to see those parts of yourself that seem so beastly. I am forever grateful for a Father that loves my in spite of those human tendencies instead of acting as I do.

You know, as much as I love Beauty and the Beast, I always wanted to play the part of Beauty. I never wanted to be the Beast. However, if I am going to let someone else play Beauty, no one is more deserving than Miss Liz and her amazing mom!

2 comments:

The Johnsons said...

1. What was I going to post on about Liz today?! And about the appreciation - we both appreciate you willing to watch her today so we could focus on celebrating with our friends!

2. I sure hope you meant Liz and I would be playing Beauty and not the Beast - Gregg and I were a little confused...

Dana said...

2. Oh yes....you and Liz were definitely the Beauties!!!!!

1. Liz's new love for ________. You know, you told me she loves it now and I was shocked when I saw it. She likes the tiger best.....