Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Day Eight: Control

I was getting pretty discouraged about the Surprise Me thing today because as I drove home from bible study, there hadn't been one. I was trying to figure out how to write about a non-surprise when that is completely against the whole point. Then, I opened my blog and there it was - in the comments.

At some point today, Mom made the comment, "...as you are always so under control". What!?!? I need to state, for the record, that this is SO far from true! Years ago, I quickly learned that "in control" is so far away from where I am, I'm not even sure it can be connected in the same solar system. It took me quite a while but I have learned that relinquishing control to someone who actually knows what He's doing is a much better place to live. So the thought that people may think that I am under control surprised me greatly! Not only that people may think I'm under control but that my mother thinks that! She's the one who gets the frantic phone calls. She is who I call when I know I'm off in another world and need to be brought back to earth. She is who I call when I feel completely out of control and need to be reigned in. That she would deem me worthy of being in the same sentence as control just about does me in!

1 comment:

Darla said...

Some oldest children like my own like to maintain the appearance of being in control and want to control the world around them completely. How hot or cold it is, when events take place when and how,etc. and it does not stop when it comes to details.

I work with a control person. She wants to be the one who controls everything...colors used, the type of line drawn (remember I teach art), details, details, the type of texture. Nothing is left to fate....it is all in her control or so she desires. And I don't mind it except when it comes to trying to control my life and our philosophy of life swirls around a different Son.

With my daughter, it has been more than one occasion I have mentioned that God is trying to tell her that HE is in control and she needs to learn to lean on him.

Control is a big deal to God. And thank goodness he is good at it.