Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Day Nine: Calendar

Today marks the beginning of Lent. While I have worked in places where this is a much more prominent day, I was surprised by how much it was on my mind today. I am SO thankful for the church I was raised in and the church I now worship with. However, I have often thought about the Christian calendar that many churches recognize and follow: Pentecost, Epiphany, Lent, etc. While I understand why many don't celebrate these times, today I kind of wish we, as a body, did. One of my co-workers and I have been talking about it in preparation and it has been very enlightening to me. So here is my take on Lent this year:

I don't think that there is anything more holy or significant at this time of year than any time. However, it is a time of fasting. I personally believe that fasting has become a lost discipline for many people. I'm sure not as practiced in it as I would like to be. I think there is something significant in denying yourself in order to seek God. I think it is when we act in such a way, we are rewarded with personal realizations as well as a purification. When we struggle for something better, I truly believe that God will reward it. We are told to ask, seek, and knock. When we do, we will receive and be answered. That is how I view a fast. So why Lent? We have many examples of corporate fasting in scripture. For me personally, it isn't an attention thing. It is an accountability things. Knowing that my co-worker can ask me at any time how it is going helps me maintain my focus. It helps me to know that together, we are seeking God in our own ways. Yes, I know that not everyone has that same mind set and some will be going through the motions. However, I am only responsible for myself and my heart in this. And this year, my heart is surprisingly excited about this season!

2 comments:

Jackie said...

You brought up stuff that I hadn't thought of. You know me, i HATE this time of year because of the 'throwing God a bone' thing. And I think of Christ and His life (dead and alive) all the time - especially during the supper. I deny myself constantly (or I'd be 500 lbs!) . . . just always seemed so fake to me. Artificial.
. . . and then . . .
And then I think that to some people it's not. Shame on me for lumping them together.

Amy said...

I never thought about Lent and fasting until I began to read Palmer's blog. He taught me so much - I still get sad thinking of his life ending so early.
Do I "give up stuff for Lent"? No, but I praise those who do, even - like my students - if they don't really "get" why.