Thursday, February 26, 2009

Day Ten: Radio Alarm Clock

This morning, God did not wait for me to even wake up before He showed up.....

I've been wanting a radio alarm clock for a while and, thankfully, my parents got me one for Christmas. Usually, my alarm goes off about 5:00 and I get up somewhere a little bit later. It has been really nice waking up to KSBJ each morning. One thing that I have learned is that at 5:00, there is a 30 minute Focus on the Family radio spot. I've heard tidbits of everything from weight loss to traits to look for/watch out of in a mate, child rearing advice, etc. I say tidbits because I usually hit snooze or just lay there dozing in and out of actually listening. This morning though....God had something to tell me!

My alarm went off but unlike every other day, I was wide awake! So I thought I would see what the topic of the morning was before getting up. Jim Cymbala was the featured speaker and he had quite a bit to say about prayer and its power. I was riveted to the radio! I cannot remember the last time I felt my senses on such high alert - especially first thing in the morning. There was nothing new or special in his message but they were cutting my heart. I didn't move for thirty minutes and as soon as it was over, I was convicted to literally hit my knees. I stayed there for a while and got up to go in the living room to read Terry's daily entry in Surprise Me! I've been reading it each morning to get ready to pray. It isn't deeply spiritual. In fact, it is a daily record of what happens and where he has seen God - just like this is (but better written and published). So I got in the big, red chair and started with the first page of the day. God pretty much said, "Nope, not yet! You and I need to spend some more time talking." So down I went again.

Now this isn't the most earth shattering statement ever made but starting the day in prayer made SUCH a difference! And not just prayer but on the floor, knees to the earth prayer. Not just asking for stuff but adoration and just listening instead of doing all the talking. It puts you in your place!

I've never been very good at getting up early and starting the day with prayer/reading/quiet time. In fact, getting up to read this journal has been as close as I have ever gotten. This morning, God seemed to tell me, "Dana, before you even read about someone else's encounters with me, you need to have one yourself." It was totally worth it!

The conviction to start the day in prayer and in the word may actually make the getting up at 5:00 thing happen!

No comments: