Wednesday, September 13, 2006

In my room...

So I think I might have a small clue as to what is "off" in my apartment. My bedroom is dull.

My whole life, my bedroom has been my sanctuary. It has been a place of comfort, relaxation, and escape. I used to hole myself up in there for hours on end. I would just be alone and dive into the writer's side of my imagination. I never wrote anything down but I always had a story going in my mind to just take a break from life. I'd dream of what I wanted out of life and it was safe in there. No one could burst my bubble or disappoint me. I could shut the door, turn on a cd, and everything outside those four walls would melt away. Even if things weren't always put in their place, it was my room - set just as I liked it.

Right now, my bedroom is a place to sleep. I never take work in there so that part of my life is the only thing not affected by the job. But a place for relaxation and escape? Not so much. All that is in there are the essentials. The walls are white and naked. I have a mirror and the word "dream" hanging on my walls. That's it. No pictures, color, or reflections of me. Just a place to close my eyes each night and throw my clothes at the end of the day. Maybe if I could get that place of solitude back, I could make all of the stress fade away (or at least pretend it does).

Those Beach Boys were pretty smart guys.

3 comments:

Cryssy said...

So, slap some paint on the walls and get lots of great pictures...make some good family shots. Sounds like a plan to me!

Jackie said...

Your whole house is now your sancuary, huh? I think that's why I think it's so important to be happy/comfortable with your own place. When you were a girl, you did it with one room, now it's bigger.

jenn said...

well, you do have the aggie room! that's a nice place and not dull at all! but if you wnat some help fixing it up! I know a couple girls that might wanna come help you, we could maybe make a weekend out of it! have fun dreaming up ideas for it!