Monday, September 04, 2006

If...

On MySpace, people post bulletins with the same questions but in different orders (kinda like those survey emails to "learn new things about your friends"). You see a new one by a friend and as you glance over it, the questions give you a sense of deja vu. You've looked at them so many times that you know your own answers to the questions before you even read what the other person has written. My personal favorite is the one asking what you have done that you regret. Honestly, I used to be able to say that I regretted nothing. Recently, however, that is not the case. Maybe not what was done or what was said, but how I did/said it. Like I could have handled things better. As if my approach affected the outcome of things and if I had done something differently, maybe I wouldn't feel that nag that I messed things up. If I had asked instead of told, listened instead of talked, been open instead of building walls.

But that is the funny thing about the word "if". It doesn't change a thing. What is done is done and there is no going back. You accept it and move on praying that you didn't screw things up royally. You hope that one day, you look back and don't regret. After all, what good does it do? None. So here's to no regrets - May your hope be fulfilled and your doubts silenced. Time to have faith and learn to fly - without looking back.

5 comments:

Cryssy said...

I have found it very hard to focus on God's will for me when I spend so much of my time looking back over my shoulder. I miss so much of the "here and now." If I look back, I may miss something extra-ordinary. Something that other people take for granted or don't take the time to notice. God's will is such a great thing. I'd hate to miss even a second of it.

jenn said...

i agree with you! there are times that you know things would be different only IF. but we can't go back! only forward. and that's the cool about mistakes, after a while you learn which ones not to make! :) i love you!

Jaci said...

I LOVE this blog .. just wanted to say that. you hit everything right on the head, so I am not gonna write about that because I would just be repeating you, and how boring would that be?!?! Hahaha .. but wanted to say, you BETTER come down when we come down!! or I will have to go to austin, or san antonio or wherever you are and kick some major Dana butt!!! Hahaha .. see ya in a couple months!!!! :)

Jackie said...

just read what you wrote on the silence thing. You little creep! You crack me up!
i love you, sweetie!

The Johnsons said...

"So here's to no regrets - May your hope be fulfilled and your doubts silenced. Time to have faith and learn to fly - without looking back."

Sounds like a benediction at the end of a high school/college graduation!

I love you.