Saturday, March 08, 2008

Worship

This week, worship and study has been heavy on my heart. I've been praying about it, rolling it over in my head, asking questions about it, and reading about it in scripture. Over the past two or three days, one short passage has been stuck at the forefront of my mind.

In John 4:23-24, Jesus says that his worshippers will worship in spirit and truth. For years, I have had it taught to me as worshipping the "right way". However, in rereading the context surrounding these words, I find that he is not addressing this idea at all. I find myself wondering if he is alluding to more of a heartfelt, spirit filled worship rather than making sure we are doing it correctly. I don't know Greek or own any commentaries to help me out in this area.

Do you have any insight? What does it mean to worship in spirit and truth?

2 comments:

Jackie said...

I think it's both. While God is serious about the pattern - Nahab and Abihu, Christ wants it to go so much deeper.
It's like Robby doing what I ask correctly because he loves me, not because a whipping hangs over his head. It still has to be done right, but with the right attitude too.

Just me.

Darla said...

It is a major issue, isn't it. I agree with Jackie.

It is our lives of willing obedience that God wants. Who will please the master, the worker who said he would work but did not or the one who said he would not and did because he had a change of heart?

I got so long winded I blogged it on my blog.