Friday, March 21, 2008

Same Song, Second Verse

At the end of July, my mom and I drove into Houston to turn the page on the next chapter of my life. I remember it was a very humid summer's day and we arrived at the complex's office just after 4:00. I signed the paperwork and we unloaded the truck. As I signed my name and watched as box after box was unloaded, I reflected on the past three weeks. Everything that I was expecting had shifted into this great unknown. I had applied in Houston area districts almost half heartedly. Just days later came the call followed by the interview followed by the acceptance of the job followed by the speedy move. I remember wondering and asking God, "Why here? Why this place that I pursued so little - almost as an afterthought, as a joke?" As we unpacked every box and hung every frame, I couldn't help but wonder through my tears what was in store but knowing, without the shadow of a doubt, that this had been perfectly paved by God. There was NO other explanation. There was no going back.

This afternoon, as I drove back into Houston, I felt some very similar feelings. Coming into town at the same time of day, pulling into the same parking spot that I pulled into 8 months ago, and feeling that same overwhelming feeling of not knowing what in the world will unfold here. The same feeling of not understanding the past few weeks and how everything that was my reality has shifted so much from even three weeks ago. There was a sense of finality in driving away from Pleasanton as I have never felt before.

To borrow Jackie's catch phrase ...and then....

Relationships change and people shift and grow. In all things, God is good - even when we don't get it!

To all of these things, I am a testimony.

1 comment:

Amy said...

I so enjoyed having you here with me over the past few days; while your drive out of town feels final, just don't ever forget how to get home when you want to.

My new prayer is that God will continue to work through you, and that whatever the future holds, He will bless you in every way.