Wednesday, June 20, 2007

When All Is Said And Done....

I have a few goals for this summer. The most successful so far are to read and write more. I am half way through my third week and I am reading my fourth book. I have a couple of pieces underway so one or two may be coming up for you to read in the next few weeks.

One of the books that I want to read this summer is a biography of Eleanor Roosevelt. I am very intrigued by her and the work that she did. I can't wait to learn more about who she was. As I have anticipated looking for a book on her, it has made me wonder: If anyone wrote a biography about me, what would be in it? What would be the defining moments? How would I be remembered? What characteristics would be put in print for the world to see?

These thoughts are very humbling. It makes me very aware of what I say and how I come across to others. After all, when all is striped away, others will determine how you are remembered. It has also reinforced the fact that our pasts are the road maps to not only who we are but who we will be. Our experiences mold our thoughts, actions, reactions, and words. They catch us off guard in the most pleasant and heart breaking of times. They tell who we are and how far we have come.

When all is finished and we are part of the past, what will people say about us?

No comments: