Sunday, June 17, 2007

My Small Glimps at Motherhood

Back in October, Erin wrote a blog with the same title. Last night, I had a glimpse into what the future might possibly hold for me.

A friend of mine is producing an album for a band and they had a LATE show in Austin. He is a single dad and it is his weekend to have his son. I told him that I would watch Caleb. We met at a fundraiser for some friends and switched the car seat and the kid. Caleb was NOT in the mood to listen to the singing so we left pretty quickly. We went to Hastings, got books for his birthday, and went to his house to read. About 10:30, he looked at me and said "It's time for bed!" Since the band was staying at their house that night, I was going to stay in Caleb's room with him. We went to tuck in and say prayers only to find the night light was burnt out. To calm the fears growing in his four year old eyes, I went ahead and went to bed to - with the four year old.

Let me just tell you, I now understand why parents don't allow children in their beds! Usually, I am a sound sleeper but last night, not so much. He made this weird sound that woke me up every time I was almost asleep. About 1:30, I figured out that he was grinding his teeth. When we wasn't grinding his teeth, he was wiggling and flopping around. Several times, I woke up with a hit to the head or a kick in the back. He almost rolled out of bed about 4 times and I caught him just in time. About 3:00, I gave up and just laid their wide awake. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. A full sized bed was NOT big enough. At one point I went and sat in the hallway just to have a break. When his dad and the band got back, I went home. I was so keyed up that I didn't get to sleep until about 6:00 this morning. I got my room and closet clean but I overslept and missed church.

The whole time that I was dodging body parts and trying to figure out what that noise was, I was awe struck. This wasn't my kid but everything in me was very aware of his every move and sound. What is it going to be like when the child is mine!? Oh my!

Watch out! He's gonna be a heart breaker!

3 comments:

Alissa said...

Even through the kicks and squirms....it's the best feeling in the world, being a mom!

andrew said...

Your mom and I were not very good middle-of-the-night parents. But looking back, there were some pretty interesting things that happened in the middle of the night. One memory comes to mind . . .snoring. Maybe I'll share that on my blog soon.

Cryssy said...

I find that mother instincts are there with any kid you are responsible for. When it is your own, the difference is that you never get a break from it. It is with you at all times no matter where that child is. Other people's children, once they are out of your hands, you no longer feel it. Being a mom is great. Being a mom is aweful. But at all times I'm grateful and love it.