Saturday, June 16, 2007

Calling Mr. Phelps

When I moved to San Marcos, I made the decision to keep my old cell phone number and get a land line for local use. I literally NEVER use the land line. My grandparents used to call me on it but I think they have figured out that I don't check it too often. Basically, it is there in case anyone from work needs to get a hold of me. The only people who use it anymore are telemarketers. Unfortunately, the phone rings off the hook.

The thing about telemarketers is that they leave messages that are not the best. You know, half of a phone number here, number with no name there. Usually, I hit the play button and walk out of the room. Lately, there is one message that I have been getting every day. At first it annoyed me to no end but now it makes me laugh.

Everyday, when I hit play, a woman in on my machine saying "Please call Mr. Phelps office at..." and leaves a number. She never says why or what the call is in regards to. After the initial annoyance wore off, I had to laugh at her unwavering commitment to leave messages for someone who will NOT be returning the call. Then, a couple of days ago, I started wondering why the name Mr. Phelps was so familiar. Then it hit me. I have been getting calls from a top secret government agency with the request to call and get my mission to save America! Everyday, when I hear that message, I laugh. Whatever happens to our country, I apologize in advance. I will not be returning his call and I will not chose to accept the mission. After all, I don't want my phone to self destruct.....

2 comments:

Jackie said...

HA! It didn't click until you connected the dots! Too funny!

andrew said...

And remember, if you have watched the IM movies, Mr. Phelps turned out to be a bad guy.

I think he did. Darn...now I have to go back and watch the movies just to make sure.