Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Challenge

Lately I have been thinking about this world of blogs. I love it because it is how I keep up with everyone that I don't see every day. It's a way for me to get all that is rumbling around in my head out. It is theraputic and great fun at the same time. Of course, I can't just leave it at that - I have to think about it too much! :)

Most of the people who read this blog are those I love but don't see often. However, I know that for some of you, this is all we get of each other for lengths of time. Still others may happen across this blog via the handy dandy "Next" button or the ever addictive Google. I've become increasingly aware of the idea that what people read may be all that they ever know about me. It may be the only window into who I am, what I've become, or what I represent. That has got me thinking upon an even deeper question: How do I come across? What do people see when they stumble across this blog? Am I a light in the darkness? Am I the proverbial salt? Can they tell whose I am? Are my words sweet and uplifting? Do people see joy? Do readers hear trust, confidence, and peace? Is this blog a blessing? Do people want to come back and read again?

I don't ask these questions for affirmation. Just some things that have been put on my heart - being aware of my interactions with others, whether in person or just in words. I'm not talking about being Pollyanna or sickeningly optimistic. Even in the hard, tough times, where do I put my faith and how do I express that to others? I guess it is just a challenge to myself to be aware of how I come across in my words and deeds.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Well said,Dana! You give us all something to think about, whether we blog or not!

I love you -

Jackie said...

I blog to release what I can't anymore now that the book is done. I just want to talk to 'my' people about me. Maybe let them in a little more.

But I'm beginning to reevaluate that practice.

jenn said...

great blog Dana!
i know my blogs are sometimes negative and have that "grrr" to them and sometimes they're up beat and happy with some gloomy moments as well. When I write, it's how I feel at that moment that I'm writing about. The content is all over the place and never within a set standard, but that's me...my blogs are very honest!
good idea though to really think about who will be reading this and how we are perceived!