Thursday, October 02, 2008

Henna Tattoos and Cameroon Accents

While Houston isn't my favorite place that I have lived, it has provided many blessings and allowed for a personal indulgences. One thing that I have always greatly desired has been to be surrounded by diverse people. This year, I got it! In my classroom, I have a little girl whose parents are first generation Americans from Pakistan. I have a little girl from Cameroon by way of Katrina wrecked New Orleans. Two little girls are twins. I have a little boy from Galveston who has just joined us and is giving me a run for my money. I have another girl who has joined us from New York City. One sweet girl is from India. I have the tallest and the shortest child in first grade in my class. I have a boy whose brother I taught last year. Several non-English speaking parents. I love it!!

Getting wrapped up in the starting of a new year and then getting through a hurricane has made me lose sight of how much I love being about such different individuals. However, today I have been gently reminded of the joy in knowing different people. This is from my little girl from Pakistan. She walked into class today with the most beautiful henna tattoos on her hands. She was absent yesterday for the celebration of the end of Ramadan. I was awe struck. I couldn't stop staring at them. Sweet little hands with tiny detailed flowers temporarily decorating them. I so wish I has a picture but she was pretty shy considering all of the attention she was getting.

My amazing team this year is no different. Our team leader has become a very dear friend to me. She is born and raised in Katy. She and I are the same age and the oldest on the team (I win with most experience). How did that happen!? :) Another teammate is a first year teacher from Ohio who recently moved to Texas. We were blessed to get to know each other through a summer bible study. Our third teammate has joined us from Atlanta by way of Hawaii and Katrina wrecked New Orleans. I am blessed to work with them day in and day out. Here we are:

Do I agree 100% with everything that everyone brings to my room? No. Do I love them for teaching me about world cultures and living together? Most definitely! I love it!!!!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Nice to have a face to put with all the stories you tell so lovingly! I hope breakfast was really good -

Mindi Tipps said...

So glad you love it! I still can't believe this is the first year where you are teaching the same grade level again- what a trooper! Having a great team makes ALL the difference!