Monday, October 20, 2008

First Impressions

After MONTHS of waiting, Elizabeth is here! I got to spend some time in the afternoon with Gregg and Erin before she got to the hard part of pushing. She did SO great! Such a trooper! We were all hanging out in the waiting room, jumping at every footstep hoping it was Gregg and then there he was. The parents got to go in first, then it was my turn....

As most of you know, I tend to have delayed reactions so I didn't even realize how special this moment was until I was talking to Esme tonight. Have Gregg hand me his daughter felt a little surreal. Almost like it wasn't us. Until I looked into her face. Her little eyelashes so blond that you had to look closely to see them. Her big blue eyes trying to open despite the bright light. The way that she grunted telling us all about what had just happened to her. Her soft little cries.

Above all of this, I can remember something very specific about our first meeting. First, she did not like being taken from her grandma so she started to softly cry. Gregg handed her to me and I talked to her for a second. She looked at me and stopped. Maybe it was the rocking or maybe it was the not being jostled but I know the truth - we already have a little bond thing going on between niece and aunt. I know because she kinda smiled at me. Yep, at an hour and a half only, she knows that she has this adult hooked.

On the funny side, Dad and I kept watching her in the nursery. She is SO funny! That blond hair started drying and getting a little "blonde bomb-ness" in it (taking after her mother). She would keep her entire back on the bed and twist her curled legs side to side. I found it quite adorable (but I'm not biased or anything)!

Picture on Erin's blog and I'm sure more will follow soon!

7 comments:

Marcia said...

Congratulations Aunt Dana! I'm so happy for all of yall.

Hol said...

Yea!!! It's amazing holding your niece for the first time isn't it? I agree with you, I was and still am smitten with my nieces and nephews. You're going to be an awesome aunt!

Mindi Tipps said...

Being an aunt is the best Dana! Thanks for calling yesterday, I was so happy to hear from you to know that Erin and Liz were okay! What a special moment for you! And more to come!

*Lin* said...

YaY!!! it's still weird to me that "one of us has one of these"

what a beautiful journey

jenn said...

i cried as I read! What a special moment for all of you! I remember what a joy it was to be in the room until pushing began with JT. Liz is so blessed to have a special bond with a very special Aunt! love you all

Jackie said...

And it just gets better.

Unless you have MY neice! HA!!!

CJay said...

Awwww, what a special moment! Congratulations Aunt Dana! And congratulations to Gregg and Erin too!