Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Too Good Not to Share

Today my 17 little barometers were spinning like crazy as several rain bands and a front blew through. The way it manifested itself was through obscene amounts of talking. After all day of it, I had enough. Here is what when down:

Me: When I tell you that this is a "by yourself activity", that means that you stop talking. S-T-O-P, stop! No more. No sound coming out of your mouth! Starting NOW!

(After 15 seconds of blissful silence, the students at Table 2 start singing together some random song I have never heard. This is BAD timing on their part.)

Me: STOP!!!! PLEASE STOP! When I say stop talking that means that you close your mouth and open your ears. That is how we show we are listening and learning in first grade. It does NOT mean start singing the song that you heard on the Disney channel last night. I am frustrated and if you do not want to see angry Ms. LaMore, you will follow directions.

(The room goes silent and one brave soul raises his hand at Table 2.)

Me: Thank you for raising your hand and waiting to be called on. What is your question?

Student: Did you watch that show last night too?

At that moment NO words or sounds were functioning. I was beyond words. I just stared at him a moment and then walked away, wanting to pull all of my hair out. Now, hours later, I can appreciate the moment. Not only is he adorable but he has some comedic timing too. Bless them all!!!

5 comments:

Jaci said...

HAHAHAHA!!!!! That is to cute!!!!!

jenn said...

oh the life a teacher has in a classroom full of little ones affected by the pressure and the FULL MOON that shone all week. my (30 minute) sessions have not been too bad, but I was in a kinder room yesterday for only 5 minutes or so and was so ready to pull out my hair!! good luck today with your little funnies:)

Mindi Tipps said...

Oh how I miss teaching! Especially my Kindergarteners...they said the crazies things! At least you walked away before you pulled your out! =)

*Lin* said...

... I love you... this is why YOU were meant to be a teacher, and I was NOT.

*mmmmuah*

The Johnsons said...

I totally ditto Lin...