Sunday, August 03, 2008

Oh Brother!

One thing that I am constantly aware of as a single woman is being considerate of my friends significant others. If I meet a man, I make sure that I meet their wife/fiancee/girlfriend and make a point to show interest in her. However, that isn't really my greatest concern. I am very aware of the amount of time that I spend with my girlfriends and try not to take too much of their time away from their family. One of my biggest concerns is that the husbands think, "She is over here ALL of the time!" or "Her again!?" I feel very blessed that Gregg "gets" the sister thing. Not too many in-laws are as understanding as he is so I try not to take advantage of it. We have grown into a sibling relationship ourselves. That is a huge blessing since I've never had a brother and he's never had a sister. I feel the same way about my other friends' husbands as well. In San Marcos, I was always aware of Alissa needing to spend time with Jeff. I was very blessed that we got along as well. Now I am aware of Esme needing to spend time with Stephen. This is where my story starts.

On Friday night, I was talking to Esme and she spontaneously invited me to come have dinner and a movie with her family. When I got there, she and the kids were at the pool. Stephen was working on something but he visited with me for a minute before getting back to the task at hand. When Esme got home, she told me the SWEETEST thing. Being the considerate wife that she is, she called Stephen after we got off of the phone to make sure it was alright that she had extended the invitation to me. His response, "Oh yeah. That's great. She's like a sister." How great was that! It is SO nice to know that my friend's husband looks at me that way. Not that I am going to take advantage of that but it is a comfort to know that he doesn't mind my being around. It's just nice to know I have another brother.

No comments: