Wednesday, August 06, 2008

The Icing on the Cake

After several less than wonderful weeks, things have turned around. The past week and a half have been so much better. The move went well, the apartment is settled, I got to work in my classroom, bible study has been amazing, new friendship continue to bloom, and this weekend, we travel to Dallas for my baby sister's first baby shower. How could things get better?

Today I drove to San Marcos and had lunch with Adrienne and Danielle. The three of us taught together my first year in San Marcos (my only year in 6th grade). No matter what happened before I got to work, the attitude that the students gave, or, on occasion, the attitude of fellow staff members, I knew that these two ladies could make me smile. They were a constant source of understanding and joy. Adrienne was upbeat and always reacted the appropriate way when needed - whether in joy or in sympathetic frustration. Her smile and optimism were contagious. Danielle always reminded me about what things were really important. She had these sayings that always made me smile because they were unique to her. Both inspired me to be a better teacher and both made me laugh in their own unique ways. They helped me remember to have a life outside of the classroom. They loved their students deeply and did their best for the kids' benefit. I would not be the teacher I am today without them. They taught me, inspired me, and built my confidence without ever knowing it.

So we sat at Chili's for an hour and a half today - catching up personally and professionally, sharing "war stories", and talking shop about new things we have learned. I was looking forward to seeing them but sitting in that booth, I realized how much I miss them both. Being so far away, I don't get to see them often so I cherish the time we had today. I'll know that I'll be making that drive a little more frequently and stepping up the email a little bit. They are too precious to not keep up with.

We said goodbye and went our own ways - Adrienne to pack for a trip to San Francisco, Danielle back to lead a training, and me back to Katy. Adrienne pulled out with a hug and a huge smile. Danielle called out "Nothin' but love". Both so perfect. It was nice to know that even though we are now all in different districts and in different positions, some things just haven't changed. They are still the women that inspire me to be a better teacher than I am. They still make me laugh and smile like no other can. They are still wonderful friends that I know I can count on in a heartbeat.

After a week of so many wonderful things, today was definitely the icing on the cake!

1 comment:

Mindi Tipps said...

So glad to hear it! I hope next week is even better!