Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Days Before Kids

Our district started teachers back to school about a week before everyone else in the state. After DAYS of conferences and meetings, we are now on final countdown to children being here with us. So I thought I would share how our parents greeted us yesterday.

We have a wonderful PTO at our school. Every year they feed us on the Wednesday before school starts. This year was different. Instead of the traditional Lasagna House, they fed us Japanese food! To say that it was a feast is an understatement. Here is the menu. I am putting a star next to everything that I tried. No, I'm not a pig. I was an adventurous sampler! Hey, when someone else else is footing the bill, why not try little bits of something new!?

Appetizer - Edamame (soy beans)* and Pan Fried/Steamed Chicken and Pork Dumplings*
Main Dish - Assorted Maki Sushi Rolls*, Chicken Teriyaki*, and Shrimp Tempura*
Soup - Miso Soup
Salad - Seaweed Salad*, Green Salad*
Dessert - Assorted Petite Cheesecake*, Cream Puffs, and Peach Cobbler*

Can I just say that I was VERY surprised to find out that seaweed salad is SO good!? It tasted a lot like Pad Thai but is TONS healthier. And the Dumplings were AMAZING! However, the best part of the meal was watching my teammate's face as she tasted new things. Too funny!

Who knew Japanese food was so good!?

3 comments:

Amy said...

PTO - what's that?!? We got donuts.

The Johnsons said...

Mom - PTO is the same thing as PTA. See, if you and dad move to Houston not only will you be closer to your lovely daughters, oh-so-cute son-in-law, can't-wait-to-be-seen granddaughter, adorable Roarke Klein - you'll get amazing meals from a PTO/PTA at your school! Just a thought...

Seaweed Salad - sounds yuck. But glad you enjoyed. : )

Jackie said...

You would SO laugh if you could see MY face as I read that! ha!