Saturday, July 21, 2007

The Power of Touch

There is something very reassuring about hugs and being held. I don't know what it is but right now, I crave it very much - all of the time. With everything happening so quickly, I guess I am just needing the physical comfort of someone being there. Nothing romantic about it, just having someone to hold on to for support and safety. Thankfully, I have a very dear friend who is good at this. Every time I see him, I know that I am going to be enveloped in a warm, accepting hug. It may last a few seconds or a few minutes, but while it lasts, I know that everything is fine. Sometimes he is not there and I just want to feel safe with who I am with. For example, tonight we (me, Jenn and the guys) were all standing in the parking lot saying goodbye. I'm not too sure when I will see them again and more than anything, I wanted to be pulled into a long tight hug. I was tempted to just grab my four friends there but I was unsure how it would have been received so I just stood there. Funny how in moments like that you can feel so alone. Except for my lovely Jenn, we all did the awkward side hug thing and went our ways.

Maybe I'm just being a dumb girl.

2 comments:

Alissa said...

You're not a dumb girl. It's always nice to want human contact and a hug is sometimes the best thing around. Come here, Dana, give us a hug! :)

Jackie said...

I abhore side hugs. I always pull people into big ones. One of these days I'll be rebuked and stop doing that.

Today's not that day.

If you were here, I'd hug and jump.