Wednesday, July 25, 2007

For the Love of Parents

It seems that I have been bombarded (in the best sense of the word) by parents in the past few days. Jeff blogged about watching Abbie grow up. Today I got an email from someone who's mom was in surgery. Erin and I were talking today about Mom's surgery last February. All of it has had me thinking a bit.

When Mom had her surgery, sitting and waiting was intense. We all sat around and visited but every time someone walked into the room, we were all very aware of it. I remember when Dr. Massey came to let us know how things went, I felt like I couldn't get to him fast enough. I was prepared for seeing Mom with the IV and in pain but I was NOT prepared for having to leave everyday. I had a HARD time saying goodbye and leaving her alone at night. I don't know why but that was very difficult for me to deal with. I cried all three times and I'm sure it would have happened again had I been able to go up on the fourth night.

A few years ago, Dad had a bad bout with kidney stones. I don't remember exact details about it but I do remember having to go get the neighbor to help carry him to the car because he was in so much pain he couldn't walk alone. That was the longest run across the back yard I ever made. I had never seen Dad hurt like that before. I had never seen him need to lean on someone else to intensely. It was really scary.

I don't know anything about being a parent but I definitely know about being the daughter. No matter what, I still need my parents. Not in the same ways as when I was a little girl but in that way that we all still need to have someone to lean on and cling to. Relationships have changes into something more beautiful. Now we are more friend and mentor than in the past but the need is still there. Unfortunately, I take so much of that for granted sometimes. It is in those uncharacteristic moments that I am reminded how much I still need my mom and dad around. I know how blessed I am to have such an amazing, loving relationship with them when so many don't. It humbles me and makes me thankful at the same time. Our family is definitely a rare jewel to be treasured!

No comments: