Tuesday, April 07, 2009

My God and I

I just want to thank those of you who commented on my last post. You are a blessing to me! If you didn't get to comment, feel free to go on back. Some of you sweet girls commented about how you felt worship happens everyday and not just in an assembly. I agree with you 100%. You just jumped to gun a bit. :) I decided to start with cooperate worship because I feel like there is something powerful about a body of individual believers coming together to concentrate our efforts solely on Christ. I find beauty in the different parts joining together to complete the body. Community is such a necessity! Where would we be without it?

So that brings me to today. Just as the body is important, we all have our own parts and our own ways that we experience God. Sacred Pathways opened my eyes to how different people encounter God. Some I knew about but others - not so much. Just as there are various ways that people's souls soar in cooperate worship, we each find our souls soaring between gatherings. I love it because it almost feels like a secret just between me and God. It is intimate because it is just my God and I. No one else can speak to my heart the way He can. And He is faithful to do so!

For me, there are many things that make my heart skip a beat when it is just me and God. Here are a few of them (limiting this was very hard): when God shows up in an unexpected way, seeing/learning new things in scripture, answered prayer, timely words, being still and quiet beside a natural body of water, having the opportunity to minister to someone, or the perfect praise song at just the right moment. God knows how to speak my love language!

Now it's your turn! Just like last time, please leave a comment sharing how you most closely experience God when it is just the two of you. Is it being outside in God's creation, preparing a meal for someone in need, meditating on scripture, staring at a piece of art depicting something scriptural, being alone and quiet, fighting for a godly cause, seeing God's consistency, being surprised by God, or time in deep study? There are SO many ways that this list is just the point on the tip of the iceberg. I think that this is why cooperate worship is so beautiful. All week we have each served and worshiped in individual ways on our own. Then, we put it all together for a few hours of focused worship. All of the parts coming together. What do you experience during your time on your own that brings you closer to God?

3 comments:

*Lin* said...

I love when songs that, on the surface, have nothing to do with God or scripture, but when you listen to it with God's ears, it becomes powerful... for example... I was once a part of a worship service that incorporated the song "Beautiful Day" by U2.

Darla said...

It is the morning drive to work when I look at across the morning sky and see the beautiful painting in the sky as the sun comes up. He speaks to the artist person in me.
And in the evenings as I walk through my pathways in my yard and look at the new growth on the plants and blooms about to burst open and the splendid display of colors in it all. The beauty of nature again speaks to the nurturing nature in me.

It is looking at my grandchildren who are beautiful, and see the budding growth in my daughter-in-law, and in the twinkle in the eyes of my soon-to-be-daughter-in-law....I could keep going. It is in everything.

Cryssy said...

I don't think I could narrow it down if I had to. There are just so many ways. Whereever there is a love of anything, there God is. And I love much (I just don't share it, which I should). Well, except for pink...I'm really not a fan...oooo or mosquitos.....