Wednesday, April 22, 2009

More of Life's Mysteries

So it turns out that there are more than three mysteries in life. I know - shocking! So here are a couple more that I have come up with:

4. How come the more time you have to get ready for something, the later you tend to be? (or is that just me?)

5. Why is it on the days that I am well rested, my fuse is shorter with my students but when I go to bed at 1 a..m., I have the patience of Job? (maybe that was a fluke, not a full blown mystery)

6. How come motivation increases as the incentive for it decreases?

I'm going to sit on this last one for a minute or two. Thanks for indulging me! I think that I have mentioned that at work, there is a Biggest Loser competition going on. Well, turns out that isn't me because I have been plateaued for the entire time. There is a two pound window that I cannot break out of. One week I am at the low end and the next I'm on the high end. FRUSTRATING! So every week that you don't lose, you put a dollar in the pot. Let's just say that someone is reaping the benefits of this window of mine. So I'd been thinking about pulling out because it is more frustrating than motivating (for me and my wallet). I went in on Friday morning for weight in and our nurses have traded off that duty. Not a big deal - I thought. I stepped on the scale and there it was - the higher end of the window. The nurse writes it down, looks at me and says, "Up again, huh? You've had to pay in a lot. What's up with that!?" Well, I felt like I had been punched in the gut so I just faked a smile and walked out in shock. Let's call it the straw that broke the camels back and maybe I was over reacting but I was pretty insulted by that so I emailed our nurses and pulled out. I definitely didn't want her working with me anymore!

Fast forward to today.... While looking for something else, I ran across all of my class photos from years past. From first year to this year, there were all of my kids. SO much fun!!! And man, have I changed too! Then in the afternoon, I took my kids to take pictures and play with our baby chicks (we have two - WOO HOO!). So cute! Well, after I took their pictures with the chicks, I wanted one too. A girl took mine but I didn't look at it until later. As one of my boys likes to say, "Holy Potato Pots!" Not only am I at my highest weight ever, my clothes don't fit so well any more, and I found good pictures from back in the day, that chick photo lit the fire under my rear to get back in shape! Now that I am out of the contest, I have some serious motivation! Now I have a new goal set for the beginning of the next school year that is safe and reachable. I have found some exercises that are safe for my back. Now it's time to get going! And there is no outward incentive...... *Sigh*

4 comments:

Marcia said...

If you get #4 figured out, let me know. I still remember one morning in college when I had gotten up early but messed around and was going to be late for class and ended up getting a speeding ticket!
That nurse should start paying you a dollar every day, that was cruel! I hope she is a little nicer to the students.

Amy said...

4. Perhaps we relax, and lose track of the time we have.
5. I think you were just numb from the lack of sleep.
6. I imagine that is a personal reaction - some people probably thrive on the incentive! Dad would rather not give money away on a losing prospect, so the incentive keeps him going.

Jackie said...

My 2 lb plateau has been around for over a year. I kid you not. 2 lbs up, 2 down, 2 up . . . Really really frustrating.

Glad you dropped that program. The last thing we need is negative crud with weight.

Mindi Tipps said...

I'm glad you dropped the program too. I would have cried having to be weighed every week. I kind if like my weight being a secret that only I know. :)

As for the other mysteries... I hate being late so it rarely happens. And maybe it's because you're so tired you don't care as much if your kids act up. That's how I always was. The more tired I was the more they could away with.