Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lessons from Lent

Today is Easter and it has been a day of celebration and rest. As it reminds of us the significance of Christ's sacrifice, it brings the Lenten season to a close. For the past 46 days, I committed to a fast from television. Three hours a week was all I allowed myself but I didn't even use that most weeks. It was there for grace because we all need a little of that. :) Some may think that this doesn't sound like that big of a sacrifice but take two things into mind - 1) for you Spurs fans, that like watching one game and then no more TV for seven more days and 2) I live alone so that is my nightly interaction. This means no DVR to record and catch up later. No watching shows online either. Just turn it off completely. It was HARD and there were times I wanted to throw in the towel but I didn't. But just as anything difficult, the end was worth it! This was definitely an area of my life I needed purified and God had His way! My evenings were spent in study and prayer, reading, taking care of my home, spending time with others, and listening to speakers/sermons. Now that it is over, I feel lighter and less weighed down. I hope I don't fall back into old patterns and am going to try to set new TV habits (like no reruns or using TV to fill the void of loneliness instead of seeking out God and people). Now that I see that I'm really not missing anything, it is freeing!

Like any fast, I have walked away from this one with a few lessons. So if you will indulge me, here is a list of what I have learned over the past six weeks:
  1. God has so much more to offer than a sitcom or dramatic hour on TV. Time spent with Him will carry you throughout the day when a quick show will leave your backside sore.
  2. I was given back the gift of time - for reading, people, productivity, etc. TV makes me a sluggard. Seriously, I have spent too much time investing in sitting on my rear. God is much more pleased with me when my TV is off! He wants me to be a better steward of my time!
  3. The internet can be just as dangerous for stealing time and attention as the TV.
  4. I am much more aware of my desire for people than before. Being among friends is so much more fulfilling, energizing, and uplifting than a TV show.
  5. TV robs you of quality time with those you love. Mom and Dad were very respectful of my commitment to end this time with no TV this weekend and I think we had one of the best visits I can remember. Lots of visiting and a challenging puzzle were SO much better than watching the tube!
  6. TV is SO negative! Since turning it off, I have been more focused on things that are lovely, pure, and noble. It makes a world of difference - imagine that!

I don't think that TV is evil but I have learned that, just as all things, it should only be used in moderation. One can become just as gluttonous and addicted to TV as anything else. So here's to breaking free from TV......

2 comments:

Amy said...

I confess to feeling the silence overwhelming a couple of times, and a little anxiety at not knowing how the Spurs did on Friday, but I'm truly proud of your commitment and persevereance to the sacrifice you made. And your comment about the internet - so true!!

Thanks for a wonderful visit; your home is quite inviting.

Jackie said...

I am going to do that. What a great challenge! Thanks, Dana!