Sunday, April 26, 2009

After the Final Campfire

This weekend, our life group went to Martin Dies Jr State Park over by Jasper, TX. Friday night to Sunday morning, there was nothing but the great outdoors. Here are a few of the highlights from the weekend:

1. I helped pitch a tent for the first time on Friday and then I put it away by myself this morning! Amazing how something can make you feel so inept and so accomplished at the same time....

2. Falling asleep to the sound of rain on your tent one night and frog/crickets the next increases your chances for a better night's sleep (if you are on a good air mattress). :)

3. On Friday night, the kids were so tired they were actually asking to go to bed! When does THAT ever happen???

4. No matter how good a breeze/wind feels, don't forget the sunblock - ouch!

5. You know you are a teacher when the first thought you have upon walking up on an armadillo in the middle of the night is, "I wish I had my camera so I could show my kids!"

6. The roots of a magnolia tree are SO cool!

7. It is fun to see people in relationships interact with one another for longer than a couple of hours. I know some amazing parents and some incredibly sweet couples.

8. Little ones get really dirty incredibly fast!

9. I am amazed how you can be so rested and so exhausted at the same time!

10. Holly and Josh have the patience of saints to take such good care of me this weekend!

11. I would be tickled pink if my husband is someone who enjoys camping/fishing/etc. He would have to teach me a lot but I could stand to do this a lot more often!!

Overall, it was a great weekend! God knew I would need it because life hit the ground running as soon as I got back (but that is another post you'll see in a few days). Now if you will excuse me, I have a date with laundry and aloe vera.

3 comments:

The Johnsons said...

I'm so glad you had a good time! I'm curious about waking up on top of an armadillo... Was he in your tent?!

Mindi Tipps said...

Yeah, what's with the armadillo? Putting up a tent and getting it to fit back in the bag is not easy...you should be proud of yourself! :)

Hol said...

I'm so glad you were able to go on the trip with us!

I agree, it is fun getting to see families interact. Nice to know that we all deal with similar things.

That little armadillo loved to hang out behind our campsite didn't it? I'm just glad it wasn't a skunk. J and I have had to deal with them before.

Sorry I didn't get to help you pack the tent up on Sunday, but look at how well you did! I'm sure you will next time as well. :)