Monday, April 27, 2009

Famous Last Words

"I'm so thankful that I won't be moving or changing jobs this year. What am I going to do with my summer!?"

"Next year will be SO great! I can't believe that our entire team will be the same for two years in a row!"

Yeah....right.....

Yesterday, I got home from a wonderful weekend of camping, put things away, and checked my email. Sitting in my work inbox was an email from my principal. It turns out that he has decided to move my position for next year. I will no longer be a first grade teacher or even a regular ed classroom teacher. I will be an oddie and the teacher that you don't want your child to have. I will be working with the students most in need. I'll be spending my mornings working with small intervention math groups (3rd - 5th grade) and my afternoons with small intervention reading groups (Kinder - 2nd grade). That is right - I will be a Kinder - 5th grade teacher. Wrap your head around that one!! :)

Now, this is VERY out of the blue! I had NO idea this was even in the works. Turns out that my principal didn't even think about it either. However, I am finally wrapping my brain around it. I don't handle change well - even if it is good. I'm NOT looking forward to leaving my team. There were tears last night as I thought about the change and again this morning as I told my team. It will be hard for us all but I am finding more to be excited and thankful for now that the initial shock is over. Honestly, I'm very honored that he would trust me to work with our lowest babies. It is such a huge job! The announcement will be made campus wide on Friday.

So this summer is all about learning various curriculums and moving/setting up rooms. Oh well.....life can't be boring, can it? :)

3 comments:

Mindi Tipps said...

He told you about this humongous change via e-mail?! I'm so sorry Dana. You have such a good attitude about it. I will be praying for peace and courage!

The Johnsons said...

I know change isn't easy. What's with us girls?! I do see it as a huge compliment that he selected you to take on this job. You'll do amazing! And you'll learn to love the even littler ones :) Plus, I have a feeling your team won't let you go.

Amy said...

What IS it with you girls and not liking change.... ?? Who is you daddy? I think that particular trait came from him.

And coming from being and oddie for many, many years, you will find your little group is even tighter than most grade levels, because we know we are not "real" teachers.

They are lucky to have you.