Thursday, April 16, 2009

Memory Verse - April 15

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. - Proverbs 10:19

In the past few weeks, I've really been thinking about the words I use. They truly are a blessing or a curse! Whether I am speaking thoughts over myself or over someone else, they reveal so much about my heart and the motives behind it. To say that it has been a humbling meditation would be an understatement.

I would very much like to learn the art of blessing others around me with my words. To actually hold my tongue when it would be nice to just vent about someone would be an act of God Himself. I have to admit that it has gotten much worse than I would like it to be. Not only over others but over myself as well. I find my thoughts (unspoken words) to be condemning rather than edifying. I don't wish to become boastful in my mind but rather look into the words that God speaks over me and implant His truth in my heart. Then, from that, overflow His truth for others to them. Edification rather than gossip or degradation.

So while I am learning the lessons of words, I am attempting to hold my tongue for the time being. Until I can speak lovingly of others, I will wait. Get the heart right and then let the overflow of words begin.

No comments: