Monday, November 24, 2008

Loving Friends

I think it is funny how God's timing works. It is something that I have grown to respect and cherish at the same time. The latest case in point is my Life Group. What an AMAZING group of people! I don't think that I could be more at home with another group of people outside of my own actual family. What I find funny about it is that last September, I visited this group and didn't get connected (by my own fault, not theirs). Then, a year later, I visit the group again and ta-da! God has done things in me to prepare me for being ready for such a loving group. I am truly blessed! I could go through each member and tell of the gift they are to me but tonight, I'll just focus on one couple.

One of our elders and his wife are in our group. I remember meeting them the first time I visited and being very welcomed by them. I recall when the church here announced that they were considering men as elders, I hoped he was one of the men before they announced his name. Over the summer, she was in our bible study and I so looked forward to everything that she had to say/share. Since spending time together over the past three months, I have grown to love and appreciate this couple more and more. Not only are they amazing individuals, they are such a GREAT couple! I know it has taken 25 years of love and work but I love to watch them. Last night he was late and he winked at her across the room. They are loving towards each other and have learned what it is to be one. They seek God together and in their own lives and I believe fully that they know His presence in a very loving way. They have both touched my heart in very specific ways.

A few weeks ago, I was blessed with the opportunity to attend a training hosted by a local church. I was sorting through things said in the sessions and I asked for prayers along those lines. Simple as it sounds, she really stilled my spirit. She offered up a calm word (not really significant to anyone else) and winked at me. That's it - just a wink, a kind word, and a smile. Her heart spoke through that simple act and it meant SO much to me.

Last night, he was leading the prayer for our group. Without any prompting, suggestion, or request from me, he prayed for me. He prayed for my future husband and the man God is working him to become. The words hit me like a wall of power. I literally felt every word come against me and through me with fully strength. Never have I felt anything like that. It was SO touching and fortifying. I didn't even know it but I needed those words prayed over me in a big way. What he didn't know was that I have been contemplating things a little more than usual lately. It was such a blessing. I didn't thank him because I was just speechless.

Tonight, I am increasingly thankful for Bob and Alicia and their presence in my life!

2 comments:

Amy said...

I am so thankful for them and their love and care for you!!! I can't wait to get to know them!

Hol said...

I wish I could have been a part of the discussion and prayer. Thanks for sharing this, because I would never have known otherwise.

I recall A's words to you two or three weeks ago. Even though I wasn't in the situation, I appreciated what she said. Something along the lines of "you'll know". Just the faith and belief that when the time comes you'll be ready to handle the situation. You'll just know.

B and A are amazing aren't they? I was thankful that WHCC chose B to be an elder as well.

I hope your week has been going well. I bet the break for Thanksgiving will be nice, and well deserved.

Thinking about you and praying often.
xo - Holly