Thursday, July 03, 2008

Up to My Eyeballs!

I have always been a reader. One downside to being a teacher is that for nine months a year, those personal indulgence things that you love get put off to the side. Well, in April, I decided that asking for a few minutes a night to read wasn't asking too much. Silly me forgot that I get totally engrossed in books, hit my stride, and look up two hours later shocked by what time it is. That isn't good for during the school year but I'm loving it this summer! I've knocked out more books in the past couple of months that I have in the past couple of years combined! It's SO nice to just read! I currently feel like Dad because I have a stack of books to read (10 to be exact) and they are all good sized novels. My goal is one a week. We will see.....

I've always been relatively proud of being a well rounded reader. At the same time, I have been a little bit of a snob towards one genre - Christian fiction. For some reason, I thought it would be less than other genres, filled with gooshiness and less than quality writing. Thankfully, I have been corrected in that area! How foolish of me to think that God wouldn't use that talent for Himself let alone bless others through it! I've read a couple of stand alone books, started on a GREAT series called "The Yada Yada Prayer Group", and am about to start the "Mark of the Lion" series (Thanks, Jackie!). I'm excited!

So if anyone has any authors or specific novels in this genre, let me know. I'm new to this one and loving it!

9 comments:

The Johnsons said...

I know you already have Redeeming Love. Great read! Also the Mitford series by Jane Karon (I think) is supposed to be really good. I have had books 1-4 for a year now and have yet to get to them... But I'll let you know how it goes!

Chuck and Jules said...

The Shack is a MUST READ. Life changing fiction- William Young is the author... look up the synopsis. I think you will LOVE IT! I miss you.

jenn said...

my crista and aunt pat love Francine rivers, she wrote redeeming love (i think) that erin wrote about. they alsw love Karen Kingsbury. I love Jeanette Oake (canadian westerns) and have fell in love with a series by Kristen Heisman; Secrets, Unforgotten, and Echoes...WONDERFUL!!! they are so good, i couln't put them down, you know how i'm not a reader!

Alissa said...

You are going to LOVE the "Mark of the Lion" Series! I just fell in love with all of the characters, I literally could not put any of the books down. All of Francine Rivers' book are wonderful. I loved "Redeeming Love" as well, just the prologue made me bawl like a baby! Her books have a gamut of personal issues, from abortion and infidelity to arrogance and superstition. She is really good, and has actually help increase my faith a bit. I have also enjoyed Jodi Picoult (not a Christian author, but still really good). Her books always have a controversial edge to them. They always make me think, a lot!

Enjoy your freedom to read! I can't wait to hear what you have finished by Aug. 21st!!

Alissa said...

OH one more! "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold.

*Lin* said...

ooh yah yah on The Lovely Bones... VERY good.

Marcia said...

Redeeming Love!!!! I have never been hooked on any book like I was it. Francine Rivers other books are good too. She's really the only Christian fiction writer I have read.

Jackie said...

I like historical fiction - alexander Thom. And Edward Rutherford. And when I want a good, brainless read, I do the beverly lewis/wanda brunstetter thing.

But I told youthat already, huh?

Anonymous said...

Jan Karon is very good - overtly Christian. Other authors who are Christians who do not fit into the Christian genre that I enjoy are Debbie Macomber and Emilie Richards. They both have good series that are quite engaging. Also, Dean Koontz, surprisingly enough is a very uplifting author. From the Corner of His Eye is one of my favorites. Spooky but intriguing. His earlier stuff is just horror - kinda gross but I think he became a Christian at some point because the tenor of his books changed. I also like Koontz's "Odd" series. You already know about Francine Rivers. Lori Wick is pretty good. Her content is engaging but she is just not as good a writer as some of the others. Enjoy!!