Thursday, July 17, 2008

Oh Well....

So I know that the last post wasn't exactly the most thrilling. This one isn't really either but it has a more optimistic ending. Promise!

A few weeks ago, I was in a lot of pain because of running stuff. Legs, knees, and pelvis were KILLING me. I went to see a massage therapist and it helped a little but not enough. After weeks of rest, I was feeling almost ready to head back to the group and start towards my goal - January's Half Marathon! WOO HOO! If only....

On Monday, I had the WORST lower back pains that I have ever had. Nothing was comfortable, pain was shooting to my ankle, and I had a headache that grew as the back pain grew. I've had lower back pain before but never anything like this one. It has gotten better as the week has gone on but I'm still uncomfortable. However, better to be safe than sorry so I went to the doctor today. Turns out that I had a disc slip out of place in my bottom five vertebrae. Fun stuff. Thankfully, he said that it sounds like it is slipping back in on its own so no further tests, doctors, or surgery (yes, I was worried about that one) are needed. I got some muscle relaxers that I am going to partake in as soon as this is published and that should allow for the disc to slip back in with more ease and less pain. Lots of rest and no lifting.

Great news, right!? I was pretty excited and relieved until he started discussing longer term preventative care. Basically, he said that since I have a tendency for my disc to slip and then heal itself, I need to avoid weight bearing exercise like...you guessed it - running. He told me that using an elliptical and swimming would be best but even biking would be "iffy". He didn't say stop running altogether but to cut WAY back. No more than a few times a week and shorter distances (~3 miles). Translation - no half marathon for Dana. My body has kicked me out of the race for good.

I'm pretty disappointed. I really wanted to do it! I was loving running and I felt better about myself physically, mentally, and emotionally than I have in so long. Now I'm out of it. I know that I can still run and get that feeling but the whole "working towards a goal" thing is gone. I'll miss the group I was running with. I cannot tell you how thankful I am to not have worse damage. I am SO glad to have avoided surgery or other injury. I'm just so selfish!

Definitely much to be thankful for!

3 comments:

Marcia said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Being told I couldn't run is one of my biggest fears. Maybe a second opinion would be different? I've hear of some doctors just being anti-running in general.

Mindi Tipps said...

Oh Dana. What a bummer that you can't run in the Half Marathon. But, I am so glad that you are okay and this doesn't require surgery! That's a huge relief.

*Lin* said...

gee... I know I would be devastated if I was told I could no longer run... Just kiddin :) i love you, i'm sad for you, and I'm happy you will be ok!!! After a lifetime of watching my mom's back troubles, I must say, they are terrifying. Please be careful.