Monday, June 02, 2008

Reassurance at the Bar

Over the past 24 hours I have become incredibly aware of the fact that in 19 short months I will be turning 30. Now I know that this is premature and those of you that are well past 30 may be shaking your heads. However, I'm beginning to think that it won't be that exciting of an event for me. I've had all kinds of thoughts racing around in my thick skull about where I am in life vs. where I thought I would be by now. Even though I really do have a good life and I know I am where God wants me, I still have that nag that I have somehow gotten in my own way. However, God is faithful in the funniest of ways.

Today was my last day for the school year. The room is boxed and moved. I am banned from working on it for about 6 weeks. To celebrate, I decided not to cook but to call something in for dinner. The restaurant that I ordered from had pick up in the bar area. As I went that way, God blessed me and made me laugh. Yep - in the bar.

So I went to get my order and I noticed that there were several older people enjoying happy hour. All but one had silver hair and were obviously good friends. They were very cute and I watched them the whole 5 minutes I was there. The bartender was very nice and seemed to have a relationship with them. He was obviously good at his job. On the end where I picked up my food was a woman in about her mid to late 40s. All I can say is that the girl was working it (or at least trying to). She took long drags from a cigarette and attempted seductive looks towards the bartender. Either he was oblivious or just let it go. I think it was the second. Anyway.... She tried so hard to strike up conversation. My personal favorites were when she asked him, "So, you ever been on Craig's List?" as if it were the hip, cool place. He just smiled and said that he thought he had heard of it. He then turned his attention to my food and bill. Then less than a minute later, a new song hit the radio. Her response was to sit up straighter and sway on her stool. "Don't you love this song!? It's Madonna and Justin Timberlake. It's a very sexy song" Once again, the bartender took her in stride with a smile and a, "That's not really my type of music."

Poor lady. She was SO clueless! She reeked of desperation. As I thanked the bartender and walked away with my dinner, I couldn't help but smile. I wanted to complement to guy on his tact and politeness - I was very impressed. At the same time, I wanted to shake her. At almost 30, no matter how much I may doubt myself and the unknown of what may lie ahead, I haven't reached that point yet. Thank goodness! I said a prayer of thanks as I got in the car. Thanks for a head on my shoulders and a shred of self respect. God will provide in His time - even if it is just reassurance in the bar of a restaurant.

5 comments:

Darla said...

I think this is a great example of God's sense of humor. And luckily you saw it.

jenn said...

i like how God takes us places like that to show himself and "the other side" of the spectrum.

i know you haven't given up on God and His plan for your life, but don't give up on yourself either! 29 was so difficult, but you'll get through it too! love ya

Mindi Tipps said...

Great post! Dana, you'll never get to that point where you loose your self-respect! You're too amazing!

*Lin* said...

LoL... gotta love the cougars!

The Johnsons said...

This is great! Glad you got some quick/easy dinner and a good laugh! See you tonight!