Thursday, June 26, 2008

My Love Language

A few years ago, I had the pleasure of reading "The Five Love Languages" but Gary Chapman. It was SO eye opening and really helped me to see how people express and receive love in the most sincere ways. The five that he presented were: Words of Affection, Time, Service, Gifts, and Physical Touch. He also stated that to find your love language, look at how you show love to others and that is how you receive it best. You usually have two dominate languages. I've often wondered what my love language is and about a week ago, someone just outright asked me. I honestly can say that I didn't know. Now, I definitely do.

I've decided that one of my love languages is physical touch. I LOVE hugs, holding hands, patting/scratching backs, playing with hair.... It is the best! Now that I know that, it explains SO much! I cannot wait to hold, rock, hug, tickle my soon coming sweet little niece. I just hope she likes me as much as I already adore her! I cannot be around my sweet students without showering them with hugs, holding their hands, and wanting to let them it on my lap when they are crying. Looking back, the students that I have not felt close to are the ones that did not like to be touched. I never noticed that until VERY recently. It also explains why I've felt a closer connection in some relationships than others. In my SAP training a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to hug everyone that shared something difficult in our group. I have been able to see a college friend many times in the past couple of weeks. It has been filled with hugs, laughter, and just good talking. The best part have been the hugs. No one can give a hug like Mark. Given the chance, there are certain people that I would hug to show appreciation to if I only had the chance to meet them.

Here's the catch with this love language though - it can't be from just anyone. Since it is a love language, there is a level of intimacy and relationship that goes along with it. I don't want some random stranger coming up to be and giving me this HUGE hug. I've been visiting a new church on Sunday and Wednesday evenings. We had a cookout last weekend and as everyone was leaving, one of the people I have hung out with a little more gave me an awkward hug. It threw me off like you would NOT believe.

I'm looking forward to this weekend. Today I head to San Marcos to see some friends and I know there will be LOTS of hugs tonight!! Then on Friday, down to Pleasanton. Hugs galore. I don't know what I'll do with all of the love!

3 comments:

Mindi Tipps said...

If I was there I'd give you a hug! I'm so excited you are going to be an Aunt.

Darla said...

I have never had cyber sex or anything so excuse my "awkwardness" but here comes a big cyber hug....


((((((((((((( )))))))))))))


until later when you are here!

I agree. Hugs are great!

*Lin* said...

>---:)---<